Briggs & straton 20 hp vanguard

emmy1940

Forum Newbie
Threads
B & S 20 hp vanguard. was running about 30 sec and the running rough and the shutting done. Does this over and over again. Found a loose hose clamp at gas filter and tighten it.
Will not start at all now. Put a spark plug tester on both spark plug wire to spark plugs and spark is seen on tester. Spark plugs looked wet so I put new ones in. I took off the air cleaner and used canned starter fluid and the engine made no response what so ever.
I will do a compression check next. Not sure how to check the timing. Engine has about 900 hrs on it.
Any other suggestions.
Thanks Gareth

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Pull the cowling off before you do much more and check that the flywheel key is still intact.
If the motor will not respont to start fluid and new plugs then the spark has to be at the wrong time or the exhaust has to be blocked & chocking the mower.
On a single you also have to consider valve timing problems but it would be rare to have both valves out of time unless the cam gear was stripped,and you would hear that good & proper.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If it came into the shop I would be looking at a fuel related problem. Start by spraying a little carb cleaner into the carb and see if it will fire. If it does, check fuel flow to the carb. If you have good fuel flow, time to give the carb a good cleaning and rebuild.

ThaxtexGM

Threads
If it came into the shop I would be looking at a fuel related problem. Start by spraying a little carb cleaner into the carb and see if it will fire. If it does, check fuel flow to the carb. If you have good fuel flow, time to give the carb a good cleaning and rebuild.

Yep i'am with Rivets, what I do is take off the air filter and pour some petrol in to the carb, if it runs for a bit you know it's a petrol problem.