Briggs & Startton 875EX Series Not Starting UPDATED

rupertbear

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi All,

I'm hoping I can get some advise on the likely cause of the Biggs & Stratton Engine on my pressure washer not starting.

I have:
Drained the old fuel
Dismantled and cleaned the carb - main jet is clear
Checked the spark plug and I can confirm that there is spark
Tested the ignition coil with a multi-meter and it reads 10k ohms
Tried disconnecting the kill switch wire from the ignition coil

I've managed it to get it to start once but other than that, it does not even attempt to turn over.

I'm at a loss to what the issues could be, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you

Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Coil ohm tests are not accurate due to the trigger/timing hall effect chip in them that throws off readings.
At this point i would remove the air filter , and spray carburetor cleaner or starting fluid, or even put about 1tsp of gasoline straight into the carb, and try to start it. if it runs then dies, you have fuel delivery issue.
also post the engine model number,

rupertbear

Forum Newbie
Threads
I tried spray carb cleaner directly into the throat of the carb and still nothing.

Please see photos below...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    795.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    875.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    892.4 KB · Views: 5

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
When you cleaned the carb, did you clean the three holes in the bowl screw/main jet? there is one hole cross drilled and one on top of the jet/screw. and now reading back, i mis read your post, i thought you said you checked spark and it was good, but you meant the spark plug, what i would do is unplug that small kill wire you see hooked to the coil, just in case the kill switch is bad, and try to start it.
1634151031464.png

rupertbear

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for this. I can confirm tat the main jet has been cleaned and is clear; I can also confirm that there is spark.