Briggs OHV slow starting

Go-Rebels

Threads
I would disconnect the battery and check it with a stand alone load tester (local auto parts store can check too if you don't have a tester.) If bad, replace and retest. You'll never be able to resolve with certainly if your battery drops voltage under load.

Rideau1

Threads
I just had a similar experience with my 16 hp Briggs garden tractor and what I found to be the problem defies logic. The battery read 7 volts cranking. I boosted the machine with a larger battery (car). Still very slow crank. I then boosted directly to my starter and it cranked well. I then thought bad connections, solenoid, etc. Remembering the 7 volts cranking, I put in a new battery and problem solved. The dilemma is why didn't it work when I first boosted it? I kept my old battery as I want to test it for a short.
Again I have to logically explain this.
I guess my recommendation is to use a known good battery with the old one disconnected.

Go-Rebels

Threads
You may have a bad battery and a poor connector somewhere. The 7 volt drop and increased resistance within the battery is not sufficient to push enough amps into the starter circuit.

When u jump the starter with the old battery hooked up you’re benefitting by the bad wiring connection upstream to the old battery. The new battery then drives most of the current through the starter and a little current back into the old battery. But because the jumped battery is ‘good’, it can push amps into both loads with a negligible voltage drop.

Some takeaways:

1). Only troubleshoot electrical problems with a good battery in the circuit.
2). If in doubt, test a questionable battery using a battery load tester. A voltmeter alone is insufficient.
3). Often times a good battery will not turn over a starter with a really bad battery left in the circuit. You can often jump ‘through’ a weak battery but a low resistance ‘bad’ battery will scavenge too much current.

I replace my batteries in my cars every five years if they need it or not.

Go-Rebels

Threads
You may have a bad battery and a poor connector somewhere. The voltage drop and decreased resistance within the old battery is not sufficient to push enough amps into the starter circuit.

When u jump the starter with the old battery hooked up you’re benefitting by the bad wiring connection upstream to the old battery. The new battery then drives most of the current through the starter and a little current back into the old battery. But because the jumped battery is ‘good’, it can push amps into both loads with a negligible voltage drop.

Some takeaways:

1). Only troubleshoot electrical problems with a good battery in the circuit.
2). If in doubt, test a questionable battery using a battery load tester. A voltmeter alone is insufficient.
3). Often times a good battery will not turn over a starter with a really bad battery left in the circuit. You can often jump ‘through’ a weak battery but a low resistance ‘bad’ battery will scavenge too much current.

I replace my batteries in my cars every five years if they need it or not.

DRWDRW

Threads
Well, I've finally found the reason for the slow starting - the compression release mechanism had failed (or was in the process of failing).