Briggs intek using a ton of oil

allenayres83

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 22hp Briggs intek model number 40g777 on a cub cadet zero turn that has been using about 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart of oil every couple of hours. Not sure on how many hours but it is about 10 years old. It starts up fast and seems to run pretty good other than smoking real bad. It might not be as strong as it used to be though because it has died on my wife a few times while she had it wide open and cutting. The air filter does not have any oil in it. Oil seems to drip out of the exhaust after I turn it off for a couple seconds. I suspected head gasket but I changed both head gaskets and the same issue continued. When I had the head off I looked at the cylinder and from what I could see it didnt look scarred up. There was a lip at the top but I didnt feel that it was excessive and the piston felt tight in the cylinder also. The outside of the mower doesnt show any oil leaks either. What could be the problem? Does it need rings or to be bored out? Or could it be as simple as a valve guide or valve seal?

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Allen, the professionals will respond directly, but I will comment...The ridge idicates heavy wear. Worn pistons can feel tight. Plugs oily? Do a compression check. Dust and dirt past the air cleaner will destroy rings/bores in short order. Valve guide wear/no seal would not kick out that much oil. Good luck in your diagnosis.