Briggs Intek Fuel Leak

natenkiki2004

Threads
Hey all. I came here about a week ago looking for posts about fuel leaks on Briggs carbs and found a bunch of helpful posts. So I replaced the needle and seat after cleaning the carb with fine wire and carb cleaner spray. I was 100% sure that would solve the problem but it didn't. I read some more and tried bending the bit of plastic (nylon?) of the float that holds the needle and this did work until this morning when I went out and saw the air filter soaked with fuel, drips on the deck and an empty tank (I didn't fill it full, just enough to cover the bottom).

I don't know what the next step is. Do I get a new float? I haven't checked if the float actually floats or not, that's probably something I'll do later today. I'm pretty sure it's not the primer bulb although when the gas is dripping out the air filter, the bulb seems to be full of fuel or at least have some fuel in it. I wouldn't be too bothered if this was a minor leak, I plan to get a in-line petcock so storage won't be an issue.

I'll get a picture up later today of where I think the fuel is leaking out of but for now, here's the info on the mower/engine:
Engine Number: 120602-0131-E1-990818-FA
Model Number: 559K401

Thanks!

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Before I would get too far into this with time and money I would look into a new or rebuilt carburetor. The valve is a good idea but install it where you can operate it easy.

natenkiki2004

Threads
Hmmm, I looked into a new carb. There's sellers on eBay selling new ones for about $50, I found a working pull that looked similar for $30. But, I can get a new float for $6. I don't even know if it is the float. I ran out of time today, maybe tomorrow I'll pull the carb off and see if the float actually floats. I did get time to install the fuel cut-off valve in the fuel line so that will be nice.

Any other ideas guys?

*EDIT*
After looking some more online, I believe gas is flowing out of the vent port. I know that when I push the primer bulb, a fine mist of gas will come out of the vent port, shooting at the air filter. It's got to be the bowl over filling, right? I'm wondering if I should wiggle the needle seat, maybe try to pull it down ever so slightly so it's a bit closer to the needle? I know I installed it right, smooth side facing the needle.

Last edited:

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
It cant be the primer as its a dry primer and fuel is not meant to be in there.
Its something to do with the needle and the seat not sealing causing the carb to overfill.
Take bowl off, turn carb upside down and blow in the inlet where the pipe goes.
Does air go through? if it does seat, needle or dirt problem.
Simple :wink:

natenkiki2004

Threads
Well I took the carb off again after installing the petcock and played with the needle seat a bit, trying to pull it out ever so slightly. Put everything back together, filled the tank with gas (so there's maximum pressure going into the carb) and opened the petcock. A tiny bit of gas came out after priming a couple of times. I let it sit a few minutes and no more gas came out. I figure this is good enough and I'll just turn off the fuel when I'm done mowing with it but not run it empty, leave some in the bowl so it's easier to start.

Time to get a new air filter and sharpen the blade :)