Briggs Intek 20HP Using Oil

Mr. Shamrock

Threads
UPDATE: Cut the yard again today and the mower used exactly 6 ounces in the hour it was running. :mad: It seems to have used less although I am cutting more frequently and I raised the deck one notch so there is little to no strain on the motor which might be a factor. So it looks like new rings will be needed to fix it right. Does anyone see an issue with using SAE40 oil through this season? I will tear back into next winter. It still doesn't put out any visible smoke and runs as good as new. I guess at $3.99 a quart and using 6 ounces per cut I could get 5 cuts per quart or in other words it will cost 80¢ in oil per cut. I guess I could live with that, but I won't!

Last edited:

Mr. Shamrock

Threads
Another unfortunate update - My work did absolutely nothing. My dad borrowed the mower today and cut his yard and he always cuts the yard for his widow neighbor. The mower runs for 2 1/2 - 3 hours to cut both. When he brought it back it was 20 ozs low. 20 out of a 64 oz system is pretty bad. I will never understand how this thing isn't smoking like a mosquito sprayer. It makes zero sense to this guy!

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
I really believe it is the quality of oil .
We get many machines in with internal damage . The owner might check the oil one week . Use the machine 4-5 times then they bring it in knocking or seized (always has clean full oil then)
My older tractors do not smoke but use 1/2 qt oil every month .

Mr. Shamrock

Threads
I really believe it is the quality of oil .
We get many machines in with internal damage . The owner might check the oil one week . Use the machine 4-5 times then they bring it in knocking or seized (always has clean full oil then)
My older tractors do not smoke but use 1/2 qt oil every month .

I have kept an eye on the oil level. I won't lie and say I have checked it every single time I used it, but I guarantee there has never been a back to back unchecked use. Do you think it would make a difference to run some 40 weight instead of the recommended 30 to buy some time? It has had SAE30 from day one and most of the time it has been B&S oil. Not because I am that anal, it is just Lowes is right down the street so that is where I always stop to get oil. The other times it has been topped off with O'reilly's brand.
I can't help but think back to when I used this mower to do a favor for a friend who was managing a new housing development that had about 20 empty lots. I used it to cut the lots twice and it was a constant dust storm the entire time. That is also when I first discovered the low oil level. The lowest I ever seen it (which was the time I am talking about) it was a full quart low. Anyway, the damage is done.
I will probably start a new thread, but what are opinions on new engine vs. rebuilding this one? It seems there are a number of new 20HP B&S on eBay in the $650 range. I will be doing the work myself whether it is installing a new motor or rebuilding this one so labor is not a factor. Thanks!

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here's a variation of the "run it until it dies, even though it's leaking oil" approach. Use an oil additive like STP oil treatment designed for worn engines. That may slow the rate of oil consumption. If it's an engine that's going to be replaced anyway, why not?

Also, is there some way (short of installing a newer engine with an improved system) to improve the seal on the air intake system? It seems like this problem must be fairly common with these mowers and maybe someone has thought of a DIY fix.

:laughing: Please note that I have no experience with these riding mowers and that the STP idea may not apply to modern engines -- with emission control technology. :laughing:

Mr. Shamrock

Threads
Here's a variation of the "run it until it dies, even though it's leaking oil" approach. Use an oil additive like STP oil treatment designed for worn engines. That may slow the rate of oil consumption. If it's an engine that's going to be replaced anyway, why not?

Also, is there some way (short of installing a newer engine with an improved system) to improve the seal on the air intake system? It seems like this problem must be fairly common with these mowers and maybe someone has thought of a DIY fix.

:laughing: Please note that I have no experience with these riding mowers and that the STP idea may not apply to modern engines -- with emission control technology. :laughing:

Yeah that is about where I am at - just run it till it dies. I just want to have a plan in place for when it does die. I sent all my engine info over to a parts place today for a quote on a replacement. I notice the newer motors have a differenent filter set-up that I wonder if it would work on my engine if I decide to rebuild it. The new one has a conical style instead of the flat filter and seems like it would do a better job of sealing. In the meantime I am going to try some thicker oil or an additive and now part of my precut inspection includes blowing out the air filter and wiping out the dust that gets past it in addition to topping off the oil. It will probably go a long time like this in my opinion. I just hate it when something isn't right!

Mr. Shamrock

Threads
I heard back from the folks at Lucas and here is a copy of what they had to say...

Allen,
You could add Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer to your mower but keep the
treatment light - about 5 to 6oz. It will give your oil added film
strength and that might give you a strong enough seal on your rings to cut
back on oil consumption.
Best regards,
John Mingus

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
We have customers that say MOBIL ONE only or LUCAS only - if they don't request special oil the get a 30w - forget the brand - maybe Valvoline ?

Mr. Shamrock

Threads
I drained the oil today to try some Lucas and look how black the oil is. This oil only has about 6 hours (if that) of run time...

100_9455.jpg

So I am going to try some of this to see if it helps...

100_9456.jpg

It seems to me that maybe the mower is running too hot and cooking the oil. Does this make sense. There is no reason for such low hour oil to look that bad.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Black in the engine oil is partially burned fuel, you are getting fuel dilution in the engine lube oil which is not a good situation. Something is causing an excessively rich fuel condition in the air/fuel mixture, could be the carb, air filtering, fuel pump, or a partially closed choke. Are the spark plugs and or the exhaust pipe sooty black?
Mad Mackie in CT

Last edited: