Briggs ELS 725 26hp

okfine

Threads
I got a free craftsman gt5000. It has a briggs ELS 725 26hp vtwin engine, model number 4467770244E1. PO said that it started blowing blue smoke. I got it home and noticed gas in oil changed oil installed new carburetor. I was turning it over by hand and I noticed a squealing sound at times on Compression? not sure. Before I put it back together should I check head gaskets? Anyone have any ideas Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
IT will depend upon how long the previous owner ran it with contaminated thin oil .\If it was in my yard , the rocker cover would come off & the valve lash would be checked.
While doing this The movenments of the valves would be visually check, they all should move the same distance and sit at the same heights when the piston is TDC on the firing stroke.
A squeal from the valves would get a shot of WD 40, or a drizzle of out out of an oil can.
Same story with the plug holes. a little drizzle of oil down each hole then a quick spin to spread the oil & expel the excess
Then start the engine, run it of 10 to 20 minutes, dump the oil a second time & replace the oil filter.
If you are a belts & braces + rope type of guy do another oil change after the first mow

okfine

Threads
great advice thanks to all, I did change oil and filter I am also waiting for new fuel pump and the hose that comes from the valve cover it had cracks, it is a slow process but that is just fine. Again a big thank you

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Might search around some for info on the air filter deal on those motors. Something about air bypassing the filter and dirt eating up the cylinders, was a good while back when this surfaced.