Briggs coil question

imchucky

Forum Newbie
Threads
Inside the coil is a Hall Effect trigger chip.
This replaces to old points & capicitor system.
So measuring the ohms on the primary circuit is totally meaningless and some cheap meters can actually destroy the chip thus rendering the coil junk.
Because of the embedded chip, a lot of coils are handed so must be installed the right way round and again a cheap coil is usually destroyed if fitted upside down.

The only testing of a coil you should do is the secondary , laminations to plug cap.
Forget about the primary.
As for the connections the wire to the kill tab must be open circuit for the coil to work and closed to ground to stop the engine.

Thankyou Bert, and I am not surprised when you say cheap meters can ruin it, but I have been an automotive tech since 1986, and when it comes to electrical especially, I try to use only the best... In this case being a Snap On DVOM.
Still, I will heed your advice and just install the new Briggs coil when it arrives without testing the primary side and go for it.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
One other thing, rare, but it happens. Check the flywheel magnet strength. Let a screwdriver hang with two fingers by the handle about 3/4 inch away from the magnet, it should pull in easily. If not you might need to find another flywheel.