briggs choke cable to non electronic automatic choke swap

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / briggs choke cable to non electronic automatic choke swap
0124 e5
010419yg

Im using this engine on mower doesnt have a equipped choke cable setup. The choke is built in on the throttle cable. How do I do this procedure?

Its going on a husqvarna yth24v54 original engine was a briggs 44r777. PO blew the engine within the first 22.8. This looks like brand new mower minus the engine.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you have the choke fittings on the carb just buy a long choke then find a convienant place to drill a hole in the dash to mount it
Universal choke cables come in a couple of lengths, slide the inner out & cut the outer to fit then slide the inner back in cut it off & put the Z bend in

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
I dont want the choke cable. I want bypass it the other way without using a choke cable

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In tat case you will need to replace the throttle lever as the no choke ones do not have enough travel to do both throttle &^ choke

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm not bypassing the throttle cable. This setup with separate cables. Just wanna do away with the choke cable.

Bertrrr

Threads
Install a primer bulb no need to choke

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You need the auto choke control bracket off an engine that has that setup and probably the choke rod.

Never tried the conversion so I have no notes here on it here.

So need to find a mower with that setup and pull that engine's IPL and do cross checking. Be careful there are several versions out there. And one can be costly as it requires changing the intake.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What he said
I have also found that there are a lot of variations in the actual length of the choke bell crank and length of the choke rod.
So now when I do engine swaps with the same series engines I do as Star has suggested and swap the control brackets as well.
A lesson I learned the hard way having been required to do dozens of warranty services on an engine replacement till I twigged that the bell crank was shorter so was not closing the choke fully .
Not a problem starting in the workshop as it was always hot but customer likes to mow early morning so in their case engine & air was quite cold .

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds like from what your telling me its just easier to add the choke cable. Im not crazy on drilling hole in the dash on new mower that has 22.8 hours cause it would decrease the value of it. This engine would be using it temporary til found the right engine for the mower. I updated info on the first post.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Get a right angle mounting bracket from a car parts store and use one of the dash bolts to hold it in place , or any other existing bolt.
Just cut the universal choke cable to length .