Briggs carburetor fuel solenoid

Mike696

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone,

So I managed to get my engine started and ran fine. I decided to engage the blades and after 30sec the engine died shut. Like the solenoid on the carb shut itself. Brought it back to the garage and decided to put some gas into the carb directly and it fires up, then eventually dies. I feel like that solenoid isnt working. I've got 12v going in and out when connected. Could it be just a bad ground?

tatersquad

Forum Newbie
Threads
You can check and see if the ground is bad by using the other pin as the ground when you check for voltage, use meter to see voltage not a test light. Also put you hand on the solenoid and turn the key to on position, you should feel it click. If it does then the carb needs to be cleaned or your just aren't getting fuel to the bowl.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
generally you should also hear a faint 'click" when you turn the key from OFF to ON...

Mike696

Forum Newbie
Threads
I do hear a small click. I took the carb out earlier and it was filthy with rust where that solenoid is. Maybe a small piece of rust is blocking the way for the gas? It ran perfectly fine for a couple minutes

tatersquad

Forum Newbie
Threads
I do hear a small click. I took the carb out earlier and it was filthy with rust where that solenoid is. Maybe a small piece of rust is blocking the way for the gas? It ran perfectly fine for a couple minutes
I would say the fuel shut off is working as it should. Sounds like bad fuel mixed with clogged jets in the carb. Suggest flushing fuel if it is bad (goes bad after 30days without stabilizer in it) and cleaning the carb.

Mike696

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would say the fuel shut off is working as it should. Sounds like bad fuel mixed with clogged jets in the carb. Suggest flushing fuel if it is bad (goes bad after 30days without stabilizer in it) and cleaning the carb.
Yeah its a mix of fuel from last summer.. filled the tank with new gas, i'll start by cleaning it again. Like i said, the bowl where the solenoid valve opens was full of rust, maybe a small part clogged a part

tatersquad

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you don't have an ultrasonic cleaner you can spray carb cleaner in every hole of the carb

Mike696

Forum Newbie
Threads
Could the seat sensor be the issue too here? Does it cut power to sparks and fuel supply?

tatersquad

Forum Newbie
Threads
It can cut power to spark plugs and depending on the model sometimes the fuel pump. Does it run with the parking brake engaged?

Mike696

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well guys today I took the carb apart and cleaned it once again. Put it back on, had to poor a bit of gas in the intake and the thing has been running fine since. Guess it was just something blocking the jets or the valve solenoid.
Thank you all for your help, great forum!