Briggs and Stratton VTwin Surging - Please Help!

ratman482

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a garden tractor with a B&S 44N777-0124-E1 VTwin engine. When I bought this (second hand), it ran for about 20 minutes and then would stall. Sometimes it would take a long time to get it started. Started by changing the spark plugs (later the ignition coils) and placed inline spark testing on both cylinders - not a problem. Changed the fuel filter, made sure the fuel lines were not blocked and flushed the gas tank and then bought a new gas cap (no vapor lock). Removed carb and initally replaced with an aftermarket Nikki. Noticed that the intake manifold was warped - originally sealed with Permatex but later replaced intake manifold with new OEM. Since I have bought a new OEM Nikki carb and still had issues with surging - only seems to have worsened. I then decided to rebuild (new o-rings, gaskets, etc.) and clean my original Nikki carb - found that the o-rings on jets were loose and several ports clogged...did a deep clean with cleaner, drill bits, wire, etc. Replaced and it ran better for about 10 minutes and I was able to cut the grass until it stalled again. Continues to stall. I'm now planning on adjusting the governor (springs seem to be okay) - but will reset. Also, I plan to check gap on all 4 valves and reset back to 0.005". After that, I'm at a loss - fuel solenoid works, has gas in the bowl, don't see an vacuum leaks (with starting fluid). Wiring okay (no shorts), ignition seems okay. Any ideas? They are appreciated!

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check oil level on dipstick & smell for gas in oil.
OEM B&S Carburetor for your engine.
B&S OEM Carburetor Kit above.
Perform Compression test & report findings.

Last edited:

ratman482

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks - I'm assuming you are referring to a blown head gasket? I have considered but have not seen smoke from dipstick or a lot of heavy black smoke, nor leaking of oil anywhere. Are there other ways to make sure the head gasket is okay...other than pulling the head? Thanks.