Briggs and Stratton starts and dies

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Using a clear glass container open the fuel drain on bottom of carb. check to see if any water is in there.

drjulian

Forum Newbie
Threads
Using a clear glass container open the fuel drain on bottom of carb. check to see if any water is in there.

I have completely drained the tank and the bowl and put fresh fuel in, and it did not solve the problem.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well there is a cheap & dirty test for the carb.
Pull it off the mower leaving the fuel line attached.
Blow through it with high volume low pressure air.
Put your hand, a cotton rag whatever about 6" away from the engine end and see if it gets wet with fuel.
If you have one of those vacuum cleaner spray guns or a hair drier that can blow COLD air use it.
If not use an air duster poked into the end of a dunny roll , kitchen towel etc, spool.
Do this outside & don't smoke, no naked flames , pets , small children, etc, etc ,etc.

I have had no end of trouble with these carbs.
Carb cleaner will soften all of the rubber bits and you really can only clean this carb with detergent in an ultrasonic cleaner.
The seat which comes with the needle ( part 105) tends to bounce back after you have pushed it home and this will cause the float to cut the fuel off to early so the fuel level will be too low.
I pop a smeere of rubber grease on it and still have to check it two or three times.

Before you pull the carb off just check that the govenor is actually holding the throttle butterfly fully open.
I did come across one that was holding the throttle fully closed.

drjulian

Forum Newbie
Threads
Put your hand, a cotton rag whatever about 6" away from the engine end and see if it gets wet with fuel.
If you have one of those vacuum cleaner spray guns or a hair drier that can blow COLD air use it.
If not use an air duster poked into the end of a dunny roll , kitchen towel etc, spool.
Do this outside & don't smoke, no naked flames , pets , small children, etc, etc ,etc.

Carb cleaner will soften all of the rubber bits and you really can only clean this carb with detergent in an ultrasonic cleaner.
The seat which comes with the needle ( part 105) tends to bounce back after you have pushed it home and this will cause the float to cut the fuel off to early so the fuel level will be too low.
I pop a smeere of rubber grease on it and still have to check it two or three times.

Before you pull the carb off just check that the govenor is actually holding the throttle butterfly fully open.

Thank you, this is very useful and certainly may be the solution. I believe exactly what you describe (seat bouncing back) may very well be happening. This would explain why I would get fuel flow when I open the drain, yet the fuel level remains too low when the needle cuts off.

I will run the suggested test and report back.

Again, thanks!

drjulian

Forum Newbie
Threads

Following your advice, I checked the float seat, and I discovered some varnish/crap/who knows what. I cleaned that up and that did the trick. The mower is running again!

Thanks for your helpful advice!!

Threads
I sent a message a couple days ago that I think I had it figure out why my Briggs & Stratton 550 series 158cc Yard Machine 21” push mower, would start and dies within a few second and it work 1000% on my mower, so here the answer I finished it last night, the carb bowl is made in the gas tank, when I rinsed the tank out 3 different time, The blew it out, I missed the carb bowl and 2 nozzle on top of the tank, And the diaphragm goes on the tank side, make sure the carb bowl made into the gas tank, is clean and filled to the top with gas, the primer bulb started working, it fired up and stayed running, thanks Donnie