Briggs and Stratton opposed twin fuel pump

josh5301

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently bought an old Murray 18/42 with no model numbers on the frame or engine. All I know is that it has a 18hp B&S opposed twin. When you look at the front of the engine the fuel pump has two nipples. One is on the left and one is on the bottom. Fuel gets to the one on the left but NOT to the one on the bottom. No fuel gets to the carb. I do not usually work on twins, so I have no Idea how the fuel system works at all. Any help or explanation at all is appreciated.

Tinkerer200

Threads
The one on the side is from the fuel tank. The one on the bottom is a vacuum port which goes to a vacuum port on the engine block to operate the pump. Fuel flows directly to the carb internally.

I can send you a Service Manual for the engine IF you like. Address below, put in proper format and remind me what engine you have and what you want. The engine model number will be stamped into the cooling shroud around the spark plug area on the left as you look at the carb side. I will be gone for a couple of hours.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com

John R

Threads
The one on the side is from the fuel tank. The one on the bottom is a vacuum port which goes to a vacuum port on the engine block to operate the pump. Fuel flows directly to the carb internally.

I can send you a Service Manual for the engine IF you like. Address below, put in proper format and remind me what engine you have and what you want. The engine model number will be stamped into the cooling shroud around the spark plug area on the left as you look at the carb side. I will be gone for a couple of hours.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com

I have to ask, how does the fuel get from the pump to the carburetor?

Not questioning your post, just wondering.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
the gas passed through the carb mounted fuel pump, up into the upper half of the carb, and then through the needle valve back into the fuel bowl. there is no external passage of fuel after it enters the pump.

John R

Threads
I see, the part about it being mounted to the front of the engine threw me off.