Briggs and Stratton Intek 17.5 HP - 500 CC needs crank seal replacement.

semimechanicman

Threads
  • / Briggs and Stratton Intek 17.5 HP - 500 CC needs crank seal replacement.
To replace the crank seal on a B&S Intek 500 cc do I need to take off the engine or can I do it just under the front of the mower. I haven’t had the time to look exactly how to do it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You can but it is not easy
I do it all the time to save customers 4 billable hours for engine removal & replacement
However I also have drifts to drive the seals in and some gear to polish the shaft
Remove the battery, block off the fuel tank cap then stand the mower vertical so you can access it without standing on your head .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What ever happen to just removing the deck, raising front end for access (placed on jack stands for safety), sliding underneath the mower, dropping the crank pulley/ PTO clutch, and then remove and replace the seal. I usually have both the jack stands and the jack in place, just added measure of safety.

But of course I not afraid of getting down on the ground level either. It is also a good time to check the undercarriage and deck for problems. A good clean paved or concrete floor helps so can use a creeper.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is sooooo much easier working vertical than horizontal .
Better light and more comfortable working position .
Laying on your back , under the parts you are pulling off is a recipie for getting a face full of dirt & debris let alone a stuck pulley .
Only mowers I get under are ZTR's because tipping them up sends the oil down the cylinders and lifting the bum puts way too much weight on the front casters