Briggs and Stratton engine cutting out

enzobenzo78

Forum Newbie
Threads
I buying a sit on lawn mower 1194-E1 type 28M707 model from a Nieghbour but trying to cure a problem at his expense before buying.

It has a problem where it starts and runs fine but after 2-3 minutes it cuts off and stalls then it restarts fine every time for another 2-3 minutes then stalls again and so on.
It does this continuously every time it never runs without this problem, it gets very tiring restarting it all the time.

So far I've replaced the fuel tank cap. Changed the fuel. I've cleaned out the carburettor and replaced all jets and float. Changed the spark plug and air filter. This made no difference to the problem.
I don't know where to go next can anyone shed some light on this matter ? Thank you

Tinkerer200

Threads
Have you checked that fuel flows freely from carb end of fuel line when disconnected from carb? Have you tried adding choke when the engine starts to die? Sounds like a carb solenoid problem but it does not appear that engine carb has an anti-after fire solenoid. I would disconnect the "Kill Wire" from its' terminal and see if engine still dies, thinking possible faulty safety switch or ignition switch.

Walt Conner

enzobenzo78

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for replying so quickly.
The fuel flows freely.
Engine still does regardless of adding choke.
My engine does not have a solenoid cut off on carb.
I'll need to disconnect kill wire once I've worked out where it is and where's it's connected to.
Does this model have safety switch ?
I'm convinced it's an electrical problem, it's just weird hows it's the same amount of time every time before it stalls and restarts immediately again until it stalls, it has to be something cutting the spark.
Thanks again for your input greatly appreciated I'll try kill switch and give you the feedback.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
IF it has an oil safety switch this can cause the exact same problem when the oil level gets a little on the low side.
Get an in line spark tester that you can leave in the motor while using it.
If it stops flashing and then the engine dies you have an electrical problem if it flashes while the engine is dieing then you have a fuel problem.

enzobenzo78

Forum Newbie
Threads
My engine does not have an oil level safety cut off switch.

Its obvious now that you suggested a spark plug tester to determine fuel or spark problem.

So i purchased a spark plug tester and placed it between spark plug and lead.
It sparks whilst running running and after several test runs in a dark area can confirm that the spark stops just as it dies out.............. and obviously sparks again when i restart it.
So i can confidently confirm that it is losing spark but why is the mystery.

I really do appreciate the feedback I'm receiving regarding this fault by the way.

Mikel1

Threads
I would disconnect the "Kill Wire" from its' terminal and see if engine still dies, thinking possible faulty safety switch or ignition switch.

Walt Conner

It does sound electrical but I would make sure by doing what Walt suggested.

enzobenzo78

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Mike I'll have a go this week and post the results

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
What model of ride on is it?
You only gave engine details.

enzobenzo78

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's a French model called :
Vert loisirs VL146.40P
With a......13.5 Hp Briggs and Stratton engine
The name ' Vert loisirs ' translates to
' green recreation '

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
It is a french brand but the ride on is made in italy by a company called ggp (global garden products) who make mowers for honda, john deere and others.

Does yours have have the footbrake lock under the steering wheel
or is it on the middle panel between your legs?

It could be a safety switch but more than likley the electronic card.
They have a system that when warms up it activates the cut out circuit.

If you look on the carb side of the engine there will be a wire running to the control bracket that the throttle cable bolts to. Maybe a blue or green wire but have changed colour over the years.
Remove the nut that the terminal is bolted to and see what happens.
Engine will not stop now when key switched so you will have to fit a piece of wire to terminal and then bare other end and when you want to switch engine off the touch bare end against engine block with key in stop position.
If it stays running all the time then you know its a switch or card
Problem. If it cuts out its an engine issue.