Briggs and stratton 650 series 190 cc

k matthews

Forum Newbie
Threads
Will not start without starting fluid,hot or cold.Once started runs good.Fresh gas , new spark plug cleaned carburetor manual choke working. I pulled the spark plug wire and full choked it and pulled starter rope 6-7 times then pulled the spark plug out and it was bone dry.It's like it's not pulling gas unless it's startedwith fluid. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

dougand3

Threads
Engine model #? 12xxxx-?

dougand3

Threads
Choke butterfly fully closing? Was cleaning - disassembly and passages open? 2 carb bolt holes open?

k matthews

Forum Newbie
Threads
Choke butterfly fully closing? Was cleaning - disassembly and passages open? 2 carb bolt holes open?
Yes carb.butterfly fully closed .Took it apart 2times and cleaned carburetor. Once I spray starting fluid and start it runs good, it idles good runs good atW.O.T..Seems like it won't pull gas into cylinder when trying to start without starting fluid.

dougand3

Threads
bertsmobile1 wrote this in: # 15 https://www.lawnmowerforum.com/threads/brigs-mower-will-only-start-with-starting-fluid.38149/page-2

remove the carb and with a spray can of carb cleaner , WD 40 or similar that has a long nozel on the trigger, spray fluid backwards down the carb through all the holes to make sure they are clear.
Some of these holes are tiny. particularly the 1 or 2 that are in the side of the carb in front ( engine side ) of the throttle butterfly these are the ones that start the engine.

k matthews

Forum Newbie
Threads
bertsmobile1 wrote this in: # 15 https://www.lawnmowerforum.com/threads/brigs-mower-will-only-start-with-starting-fluid.38149/page-2

remove the carb and with a spray can of carb cleaner , WD 40 or similar that has a long nozel on the trigger, spray fluid backwards down the carb through all the holes to make sure they are clear.
Some of these holes are tiny. particularly the 1 or 2 that are in the side of the carb in front ( engine side ) of the throttle butterfly these are the ones that start the engine.
Yeah I've did that twice with carb.cleaner and with small wire and made sure they weren't blocked.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Yeah I've did that twice with carb.cleaner and with small wire and made sure they weren't blocked.
Even though you have cleaned carburetor two times, if it run fine (no hunting and surging), after starting, but will not start without spray, it is usually the choke not closing properly, or still not clean enough.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have you checked the float level? If it is set to low you may have a lean starting condition which will cause this problem.