Briggs and Stratton 311777-0164-e1 electrical problems

clemsonnum1

Threads
  • / Briggs and Stratton 311777-0164-e1 electrical problems
This engine is on a Husqvarna YTH 1746b. Problem started after I finished mowing. It wouldn't crank so I tested the spark plug and there was no spark. Replaced it and still didn't work so I disconnected the kill wire on the ignition coil and still no spark. Replaced the ignition coil and cranked right up, however after that it was burnt out. So now I have been tearing through the electrical wiring to find anything. Voltage is hitting the kill wire when going from start-run, not run-start. No voltage coming through in either off/lights/on. Voltage is running through every ground wire I have tested when doing start-run so I can't run a new kill wire to the ignition switch. I replaced the ignition switch because it was worn out already and just hoping that could be it, but it wasn't. So now I have removed the main wiring harness so I can start tracing every wire to look for problems. FUN! Anyone else had a problem like this or have any suggestions? I disconnected the starter wiring just to make sure it wasn't the alternator or the starter when it was turning over, but it is not. It is also not the carb/alternator wiring either. It has to be somewhere in the main wiring harness/relays/plugs...at least I think so.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Could be in the wiring harness, safety switches possibly. Relays may be a problem to. Or the whole thing could be caused by a missing ground.

clemsonnum1

Threads
Yeah I'm lost right now as to what the problem is. I'm trying to think what would cause a surge in volts when the solenoid cuts power to the starter (start-run). No other electrical problems at all. I have the main wiring harness out right now and see a couple nicks in the wires but I don't think they are the problem because they aren't crossed. Gonna be a pain to get all the wires secured again.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah, a guy named "Rivets" is an expert in this area, he will be along shortly......

Naw, just joshing, but voltage going to the kill wire is what usually kills these coils, which is why I am very cautious when replacing coils, as the voltage that killed the old coil, will quickly kill the new one!!

No, there is no "easy" fix for what you are up against, you need to get the schematic and run it down.

clemsonnum1

Threads
Yeah I'm about to give up and take it in. I've been trying to figure this out for a few days and have gotten nowhere. Logically I can't think of why the voltage only spikes after releasing start. Why not while it is cranking?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Fish is real funny, but as usual he is out of water. Here is a schematic that may help. If you truely think that a voltage spike is causing the problem, I would pull the kill wire from the coil and hook up a separate tempory kill wire for testing. This way you can check with a meter if voltage is going through the existing kill wire. If you find voltage, I would look at the key switch plug, as it is set up with the B and M terminals next to each other. It may be shorted inside the plug. Read my signature, as you can see some imposters feel I don't know much.

clemsonnum1

Threads
The kill wire has been pulled and I was still getting a voltage spike at the other end of the plug and throughout the system. You mean hook up a temp wire to the M on the ignition switch? If so I'm getting the spike in voltage there as well too. Otherwise I would have just run a new wire and been done with it. I replaced the ignition switch because it was worn, but the plug end of it may be a good thought. I just don't understand why it's spiking when I release the key from the start position. It's really brief and not even long enough to get an accurate reading.

clemsonnum1

Threads
Just tested the brake/clutch and operator presence safety switches and they seem ok. However I tested the relay switch and I'm not getting any continuity with the middle post when it is de-energized. With 12 volts hooked up I'm getting continuity from the top and bottom posts.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
"""""Yes, I stand by my reply. If you can show me how a magneto ignition system coil can get voltage out of a ground, I will change my stance. I am not going to get into a debate over this and the original poster can make is own decision how he wants to proceed, but I am done replying to your posts. Open to be friends, now you are joking, right. """"""" quote by Rivets from another thread........

Yeah, that was a quote from Rivets on another thread, just for clarity....