Briggs and Stratton 26hp ELS V-twin problems. Advice please.

r1pilot83

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Briggs and Stratton 26hp ELS V-twin problems. Advice please.
Hello,

I am currently working on a Briggs V-twin 26hp ELS engine. I changed the cam due to one lobe being almost completely wore off. Once I got it back together the engine would only run on the right cylinder. I checked the valves and there were in spec. I took the carb off and sprayed starting fluid into both cylinders. The right carb would run briefly but the right cylinder would not hit at all. Both sides have spark. The left cylinder is shooting a lot of air out of the intake port. I popped the head off and the head gasket seemed to be good. I am stumped at this point. The right side with the carb on would load up and black smoke like crazy until it would eventually die. There was absolutely no running on the left side. At this point I am looking for any advice. I believe that the left cylinder isn't pulling enough vacuum to draw in fuel. What are your thoughts?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds like the cam is out of time or a pushrod has jumped off its cam follower.
Pencil down the plug hole while you watch the valves moving.
A couple of marking pens work wonders .
Draw an index line on the top of the cases then mark each valve opening and closing on the flywheel

dana a

Threads
If I'm reading this sentence correctly, "The left cylinder is shooting a lot of air out of the intake port." , your left intake valve is stuck open. If it was closed when you had the head off then there's probably an issue with the push rod.

r1pilot83

Forum Newbie
Threads
I put a new head on the left side from another twin. Now it fires and runs, but the carb is still loading up. I am going to stick the original 26hp carb back on it once I find the rubber grommet that it needs in the bottom of the bowl. I am making progress. I think the intake valve was sticking on the old head.