Briggs and Stratton 10HP won't start

deminin

Threads
I have a Coleman 5500 Watt generator that I bought about 15 years ago. I usually start it up and let it run for 10 minutes every 7 or 8 weeks...in case we lose power out here in the boondocks. Yesterday, I couldn't get it started no matter how many times I pulled the cord. It appears to have spark...I installed a new plug, and hooked up a spark tester, which showed "fire", but I don't think it is getting any fuel...the plug stays dry no matter how much I choke it and pull the rope. I suspect that I'm going to have to go into the carburetor.

The engine is a B&S Model 19E412, Type 010701, 10HP.

if anyone has any ideas on things to check, and try, before I dismantle the carb, or tips on working on the carb, I would appreciate it. I will tackle this project over the weekend.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a Coleman 5500 Watt generator that I bought about 15 years ago. I usually start it up and let it run for 10 minutes every 7 or 8 weeks...in case we lose power out here in the boondocks. Yesterday, I couldn't get it started no matter how many times I pulled the cord. It appears to have spark...I installed a new plug, and hooked up a spark tester, which showed "fire", but I don't think it is getting any fuel...the plug stays dry no matter how much I choke it and pull the rope. I suspect that I'm going to have to go into the carburetor.

The engine is a B&S Model 19E412, Type 010701, 10HP.

if anyone has any ideas on things to check, and try, before I dismantle the carb, or tips on working on the carb, I would appreciate it. I will tackle this project over the weekend.

Start small, first thing make sure you are getting good fuel flow to the carburetor.

deminin

Threads

Great! thanks for the references...I'll do some homework over the next couple of days, and perhaps I can get this thing running, again. We've been lucky so far this Winter, but you know how Murphy's Laws work...we could get a bad snow and ice storm at any time, and having a generator can make a lot of difference.

deminin

Threads

Found it...I tackled this project this morning, and using the Manual you referenced, I quickly found a broken spring on the governor assembly....looks like it was shutting off the carburetor flow. I found a suitable replacement in my workshop, and 3 or 4 pulls later, the generator fired right up. I found the correct spring on the Internet, and ordered one, plus 2 others that are on the governor...might as well replace them all, if one broke.

I'm going to print off this manual and keep it for future reference...just in case. Thanks again.