Briggs 625ex won't start

NoitswithaK

Forum Newbie
Threads
I inherited this mower (troy-built tb200) from my brother who bought it because his rider was in the shop. He didn't winterize it properly and upon me getting the mower and trying to start it i figured out pretty quick that the carb was gel'd up. So, i bought a new carb (original briggs part), new air filter, new spark plug, drained/cleaned the fuel tank, and put fresh briggs oil and fresh gas in it. All with zero luck. Mower will not fire at all, have tested that the spark plug is sparking and have even thrown a squirt of starting fluid at it which did make it fire until the fluid was gone. I'm at a loss as to what else could be wrong with this and I'm hoping that someone here can help

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
I inherited this mower (troy-built tb200) from my brother who bought it because his rider was in the shop. He didn't winterize it properly and upon me getting the mower and trying to start it i figured out pretty quick that the carb was gel'd up. So, i bought a new carb (original briggs part), new air filter, new spark plug, drained/cleaned the fuel tank, and put fresh briggs oil and fresh gas in it. All with zero luck. Mower will not fire at all, have tested that the spark plug is sparking and have even thrown a squirt of starting fluid at it which did make it fire until the fluid was gone. I'm at a loss as to what else could be wrong with this and I'm hoping that someone here can help

You figured it out...you just need to find and fix it...
Fuel is not getting from the carburetor to the engine.
Does carb have gas in it? choke working? throttle working? You got all carb linkage back in place?

Vacuum from engine pulls gas thru jet into combustion chamber.

Will it run continuously if you keep spraying staring fluid into the carb...long enough to determine that the engine will run? 30 secs?

ccheatha

Threads

Interesting that after the new carb, it still seems like it's not getting gas. I recently worked on a similar problem - my son rented a place, but didn't have a riding mower to cut the huge yard that was there. The previous renter (I guess) left an old MTD yard machine there. It wouldn't turn over, it was missing the right front wheel, etc. I broke it down, got the engine to turn by hand (removed tons of grass and rats nests, etc.) and finally got it to fire with a little starter fluid squirted into the air filter housing. It would run for a second or so then die. So I took the carb apart and found that the needle was glued into the seat (thereby not letting any gas through). I replaced those (needle and seat) and I immediately saw gas flowing through the air filter housing. I fired it up and it ran fine.

With a new carb, you'd think you wouldn't have a similar problem, but who knows. You can still check to see that the needle is freely moving - just a thought. Also, when you remove the air filter, do you see any evidence of gas in the housing or is it bone dry?