Briggs 5hp engine question

hdsport

Threads
I just bought a very nice Troy Bilt rototiller with a 5 hp briggs 130200 engine. Starts on the first pull.
Probably a 1992 model year. Looks like NEW. little use and kept indoors.

My question: When it is running on FAST, there is an occassional "pop" sound from the exhaust.
I have tried to adjust the mixture adjustment screw and have 'smoothed' out engine best I could, BUT still here a POP from the exhaust.

Any suggestions as how to get rid of this?

I am wondering if I need to get a new diaphragm.

Please advise.
Thanks for the time to reply.
Paul

Attachments

• Troy Bilt Pony Tiller.jpeg
    Troy Bilt Pony Tiller.jpeg
    36.7 KB · Views: 8

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The pop is unburned fuel burning.
You will find that when working this will most likley go away.
If not you can lean down the carb a little bit.
If it persistes then check the valve lash.
However that will require pulling the head and fiting a new head gasket so might be best to learn to live with it.

hdsport

Threads
Thanks, sounds like a good suggestion.
I was wondering if something like Seafoam might be beneficial here.
Tiller is in the shed now, so will look at it again when I have a chance.
Thanks, again.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I hope it is being stored with all the gas removed, or you may have problems down the road. Another cause of popping is water in the gas.

hdsport

Threads
I hope it is being stored with all the gas removed, or you may have problems down the road. Another cause of popping is water in the gas.

Thanks.
Since the use of ethanol in gas, I always make sure that all of my gas is treated with StaBil -- ethanol treatment.
Also, I will be running the tiller periodically and, of course, in the fall when I prepare my garden for winter.

Also, I don't think I have a water problem, especially with the use of ethanol gas, but I will see how the tiller runs after several tanks of gas.
Thanks for the advice.
Paul

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks.
Since the use of ethanol in gas, I always make sure that all of my gas is treated with StaBil -- ethanol treatment.
Also, I will be running the tiller periodically and, of course, in the fall when I prepare my garden for winter.

Also, I don't think I have a water problem, especially with the use of ethanol gas, but I will see how the tiller runs after several tanks of gas.
Thanks for the advice.
Paul

Stabil stabilizes gas it does not remove ethanol from it. It can and does still draw in moisture into the gas over time. Nothing you do or add to ethanol gas will change that fact.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
The popping could also be a valve..!

hdsport

Threads
Thanks.

Thanks for the advice.
Paul

OOPS, I meant to say StarTron, NOT StaBil.

I have been told that ethanol in gas will form a "worm-like" substance over time and cause expected adverse results. A friend who owns a repair garage actually saw this substance dissolve in a tank after he added some StarTron to the gas.
Not sure how it works, but it has been recommended to save the diaphragm and hoses in various yard machines.

I have been using StarTron for some time now and it seems to work OK.

Anyone with more info?