Briggs 33R877 19hp won't turn over

terry383

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 19 hp Briggs intek that starts to turn over, but when it comes to compression it stops. I have adjusted valves but no help there. When I hooked 2 batteries it turns over but backfires through exhaust. any ideas?

Tinkerer200

Threads
I would remove the valve cover and check that push rods are in place and functioning properly, valves are operating and pay particular attention to how much each valve is moving, they should be equal. These engines have a history of camshaft failure. The Intake valve should make a final slight move to fully closed well into the compression stroke. Avoid holding starter engaged longer than 5 seconds without a rest, I prefer no longer than 3 seconds.

I can send you a Service Manual and Valve Adjustment Instructions which include a test for compression release function IF you like. Address below, put in proper format and remind me engine model number and what you want.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com

terry383

Forum Newbie
Threads
Many thanks for the reply, Walt. The problem must lie in the compression release mechanism. There is no movement in intake valve a quarter of a turn after it closes. Looks like a full tear down on the year old engine. Again, many thanks for the reply.