Briggs 28Q700 - Flywheel issues....

Dr_Jim

Threads
Briggs 28Q700 - Flywheel issues....
Apologies for not having the exact type #.....however my problems are 'general'.
Older snapper lawn tractor 155LTH 42BBV (15.5hp B&S horizontal engine),.....solenoid and starter died. Diagnosed with meter.
Replaced starter and solenoid. Now passes proper current..etc.

Ring gear (plastic) had a LOT of teeth missing so I am attempting to replace it with the new aluminum gear.

Issues:

1 - Cannot get flywheel off. Used puller, broke bolts,...used puller some more. Used knock tool hitting it with hammer with prybar underneath..etc. Currently I am spraying it daily with PB Blaster and hoping for some magic to happen.

2 - And this is where my memory is sketchy. I feel like I was previously able to rotate the flywheel by hand endlessly,...meaning 360deg....720deg....it would continue to rotate.
NOW...it seems to rotate only about 350 +/- degrees before it 'hits' something. I can feel/hear compression...etc. The plug is still in,....but this definately is like a 'clunk' when it reaches its rotational limit.....I can rotate back and forth no problem....but simply not endlessly.
I am not sure if this is normal. Something tells me this is bad. Dropped a magnet maybe?

I have not 'beaten' on the flywheel or crank with a 10lb hammer at all....in fact I have been very careful not to use the 'hammer' approach much at all and haven't hit the flywheel itself with anything other than a rubber mallet (and not that hard either).

Any insight? Advice? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Lawnranger

Threads
Possibly the pry bar underneath hit the stator and/or magnet. You will find out once you get the flywheel off. I've had some really tight flywheels and had to resort to hitting the puller while under great tension to get them free. You may want to buy some grade 8 bolts for your puller and try again. Make sure to clean the taper on the crank and flywheel with brake cleaner or similar to remove the penetrating oil before you reassemble everything.

Let us know how it goes.

Dr_Jim

Threads
Thx.
I will try that as I am getting a littler desperate with it.....grass is growing!
Grade 8 bolts are a good call too!

I hope it's a magnet only! I could use some JB weld on it and put it back......but something is definately jamming up in there............

chance123

Threads
There is a Briggs tool that slips over the smooth end of the crank made for this purpose. Just as you did with the pry bar under the edge of the FY, with this tool in place, you must hit it "very" hard to shock it free. The real reason for the pry bar is to lift the crankshaft's end play just enough so when you strike the end of the crank, the crank will have somewhere to go. Otherwise, if you didn't, when striking the crank, you would also be striking the FW side of the crankcase. I am sure you know this, but "DON'T strike the end of the crankshaft without that tool, otherwise that smooth machined shaft will get mushroomed.

Dr_Jim

Threads
Interesting,....although the way you describe it sounds off,...the crank shaft is recessed in the flywheel,....and the flywheel bolt screws down into the threads in the crankshaft.

So I have a piece of pipe that fits into the flywheel and rests on top of the crankshaft,...this allows force to go to the shaft and not the flywheel,...and protects the threads of the shaft as well.

Not sure about the tool you describe,....im looking online,....not sure how it could go 'over' the shaft....

A "VERY" hard hit is not something I have done yet,...only used 'tapping' with a standard hammer and some hard blows with rubber mallet. I could certainly get the 3lb BFH and WHACK it! (the shaft with protective insert...NOT flywheel)

chance123

Threads
Interesting,....although the way you describe it sounds off,...the crank shaft is recessed in the flywheel,....and the flywheel bolt screws down into the threads in the crankshaft.

So I have a piece of pipe that fits into the flywheel and rests on top of the crankshaft,...this allows force to go to the shaft and not the flywheel,...and protects the threads of the shaft as well.

Not sure about the tool you describe,....im looking online,....not sure how it could go 'over' the shaft....

A "VERY" hard hit is not something I have done yet,...only used 'tapping' with a standard hammer and some hard blows with rubber mallet. I could certainly get the 3lb BFH and WHACK it! (the shaft with protective insert...NOT flywheel)

OK I see that you do not have a recoil clutch. I would take a short spare bolt with matching threads and screw it "all" the way into the crankshaft. Pry up on ONE edge of the FW and hit the head of that bolt VERY HARD. It WILL break free from the taper.

Dr_Jim

Threads
Hmm....I must be dense today.....I dont think im explaining it right.

The flywheel "hole" has no threads,....the crankshaft has threads,...and the top of it is recesssed in the hole on the FW,...the "bolt" goes into the crank nad the top of it overlaps the flywheel....thereby holding the FW on (although the FW sure the f&^% isnt going anywhere anyway).

Are you suggesting getting a bolt with the same threads,...that has a smaller diameter head and screwing it into the CRANK.....so that I can then get a whack onto it? There is no way to screw a bolt into the "flywheel" unless you mean into 1 of the 2 5/16th holes that are on each side of the center of the flywheel (where the puller goes).

Is the bottom line that I need to get a SERIOUS whack onto the crank without damaging the threads? While prying one end of the FW? I "think" my piece of pipe would allow for that just fine?

Thx again man.....

chance123

Threads
Hmm....I must be dense today.....I dont think im explaining it right.

The flywheel "hole" has no threads,....the crankshaft has threads,...and the top of it is recesssed in the hole on the FW,...the "bolt" goes into the crank nad the top of it overlaps the flywheel....thereby holding the FW on (although the FW sure the f&^% isnt going anywhere anyway).

Are you suggesting getting a bolt with the same threads,...that has a smaller diameter head and screwing it into the CRANK.....so that I can then get a whack onto it? There is no way to screw a bolt into the "flywheel" unless you mean into 1 of the 2 5/16th holes that are on each side of the center of the flywheel (where the puller goes).

Is the bottom line that I need to get a SERIOUS whack onto the crank without damaging the threads? While prying one end of the FW? I "think" my piece of pipe would allow for that just fine?

Thx again man.....

What I am saying is to get a spare bolt with the same threads and if you have to, put some washers under the head of the bolt to get the head "above" the top of the flywheel. Tighten that bolt a little so you won't stretch the threads when hitting it. You want this bolt tight so the full force of hitting it gets transmitted to the crank (and not the threads if loose) hit it HARD while prying the FW

Dr_Jim

Threads
Thanks Chance.............I will pick one up on the way home and try this tonight!
Appreciate it.

chance123

Threads
When you put the washers in to keep the head above the FW, MAKE SURE THE OD OF THE WASHERS FITS INTO THE RESESS OF THE FW AND SEATS DIRECTLY ON THE CRANKSHAFT.
I stated to use a spare bolt because you are going to mangle the head when you hit it.