Briggs 14.5hp motor

tim2

Threads
A guy brought me his mower because it would not start.I started checking and he has bypassed all of the safety switches. I checked for spark and it will not spark when you are holding the key in the start position, but when you relase it the plug will fire tw0 or three times. I am hoping someone can give me ideas on what I need to check for next. I am at a loss and his yard is growing out of control. Hoping I can help a neighbor out. Thanks in advance.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
A guy brought me his mower because it would not start.I started checking and he has bypassed all of the safety switches. I checked for spark and it will not spark when you are holding the key in the start position, but when you relase it the plug will fire tw0 or three times. I am hoping someone can give me ideas on what I need to check for next. I am at a loss and his yard is growing out of control. Hoping I can help a neighbor out. Thanks in advance.

There are interlocks on the safeties, you just can't by-pass them all.
Try and hook the safeties back up and then go from there.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Being he has disconnected all the safety switches, go one step further and disconnect the mag ground kill wire and maybe he can get his grass mowed if it will run disconnected. Then between mowing maybe you will have time to find the problem.

tim2

Threads
OK, I dug a little deeper and found the only switch he bypassed was the PTO switch. I am not a mower repair guy so give me a break and don't get to technical on me. I can only see the plug firing when you release the key from the start position.

tim2

Threads
OK, back in from the garage. I rewired the PTO safety switch and still having the same results(firing when you release the key) Where do I find this mag ground kill wire? I have to try something and I am really grasping at straws.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OK, back in from the garage. I rewired the PTO safety switch and still having the same results(firing when you release the key) Where do I find this mag ground kill wire? I have to try something and I am really grasping at straws.

If you really want us to help you you need to help us.

Briggs & stratton do not specify what safety switches are to be used with their engines
Secondly there are a dozen or more 14.5 Hp Briggs & Stratton engines.

So if you are grasping at straws just imagine what we are going through trying to help you.

Oh and usually the cut out wire will come out either behind the starter motor or behind the carburettor controls and I can not tell ou which place to lok or even what colour the wire willbe becaue you won't tell me what the motor actually is and what it is fitted into.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you really want us to help you you need to help us.

Briggs & stratton do not specify what safety switches are to be used with their engines
Secondly there are a dozen or more 14.5 Hp Briggs & Stratton engines.

So if you are grasping at straws just imagine what we are going through trying to help you.

Oh and usually the cut out wire will come out either behind the starter motor or behind the carburettor controls and I can not tell ou which place to lok or even what colour the wire willbe becaue you won't tell me what the motor actually is and what it is fitted into.

So tell me Bert ..... how many times have you had to ask for the info. to help someone....??? This is EXACTLY why I suggested a Welcome page or notice of some sort specifically telling people looking for help to supply some vital info. I " see " how frustating AND time consuming it is .......... Boobala ..... :mur:

Tinkerer200

Threads
Being he has disconnected all the safety switches, go one step further and disconnect the mag ground kill wire and maybe he can get his grass mowed if it will run disconnected. Then between mowing maybe you will have time to find the problem.

Good advice, can't figure out why he took the mower to someone "who isn't a mower repair guy".

Walt Conner

tim2

Threads
In my last posts I said that all the safety switches were hooked back up and it still only sparks when you release the key from the start position. Briggs & Straton model# 287707 0225 01.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So tell me Bert ..... how many times have you had to ask for the info. to help someone....??? This is EXACTLY why I suggested a Welcome page or notice of some sort specifically telling people looking for help to supply some vital info. I " see " how frustating AND time consuming it is .......... Boobala ..... :mur:

the only way this would work was to have the post page formatted with mandatory fields for mower brand, model number, Dom, engine maker, engine code.
However 1/2 the people do not know this information and many need to be told how to find it.
Then there is the confused/ mechanically challenged who would be put off and scared to post without it.
There is a fine balance between accessibility and convenience.
I am not a big fan of stickies as most poeple just jump past them.
The look at the "Introduce yourself" sticky at the beginning of each makers list.
If you go throught them yu will see person after person saying "Hello I have a xyz with this problem" which is exactly what the stick tells them not to do.
And then if you read the whole 20 odd pages you will see the same 4 problems over & over &over &over so no one ever bothers to read the posts.