Briggs 11Hp running wide open

kmbelt

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently purchased a 33" Comet Hi Vac with the Briggs I/C 11HP engine (engine model 253702-0015-01). It ran pretty bad when i got it (bogged down under load) and i went through the carburetor and cleaned it up. Now it runs WIDE OPEN regardless of what i do. I believe that it has to be the governor that is causing my problem as it does not move when the engine is running.

I have followed the directions from Briggs on how to adjust the governor, but it won't work as the governor shaft will spin a full 360 over and over again and not stop like the directions say it should.

Is it worth tearing down to check on the governor internally or should I just look for a new engine.

I have never broken down a small engine, but definitely am not afraid to. How hard would it be.

A rebuild manual would definitely help me, but cant anything on the net for free for it.

Can anyone help me?

GetTechnicalWithJd

Threads
I suspect one of the flyweights on the governor has broken allowing the governor spool to come off.

The only way to fix this is to open the engine and assess it.

If it is the governor/oil slinger the part number you need is 490815.

You can download the manual here:
http://www.powerproducts.co.za/

Good Luck.

Last edited:

kmbelt

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the information. Looks like i'll be taking the engine off the mower and tearing into it. Can't hurt anything as it isn't really usable now. Looks like a good hot weather project. Thanks for the link, that will help me greatly with fixing it and making sure i am doing it right.

kmbelt

Forum Newbie
Threads
well, i bit the bullet and tore it down. Not only was the governor gear broken, but the governor shaft was broken inside too. I ordered the new parts and gaskets to reassemble it (governor, governor shaft, sump gasket, head gasket and a couple other parts). Not as complicated internally as i thought it would be. I did extend the oil drain hole 3" so it doesn't drain all over itself anymore. Having fun doing it too.

While i'm at it, i'm going to paint it. I'm using Engine Enamel for the block, shroud, etc. What paint should i use to paint the header pipe and muffler up with. I would think the engine paint wouldn't hold up to the heat there, but not sure. Any input would be greatly appreciated.