Brand New B&S Intek 8230

keychange

Threads
I have a near new ( 12 hours) Chinese mower with an intermittent but regular fault - it stops and won't start again - which results in a flat battery then when recharged starts first kick.

I have checked relays as best I can but I am suspicious of the oil cut-out switch as we live on a fairly steep block and the failures always coincide with the mower being on a slope. I am not saying it cuts out on the slope as that could easy be my wife's light weight triggering the seat cut out. But I think the failure to restart is related to the slope and the oil cut out. I tested my theory by adding 50 ml of oil and each time it started ok - but now the engine is over filled which I need to drain.

I have just wasted nearly an hour of my life on the totally useless B&S web site where I have tried ten times to enter the details to get a manual. Model 445577 Type 0139 Trim B1. It is an Intek 8230 724cc - given I know all that the web site refuses to identify the motor and offer me a manual.:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

So I am really after a wiring diagram if possible as I say I believe the oil cut out switch is faulty and would like to disable it for testing purposes. I live 3 hours round trip from my nearest BS dealer and anyway I do not own a trailer big enough that can carry the mower so some testing in situ is called for. I have the parts manual and it describes "Wire Assembly Includes Green Oil Pressure Switch Wire" - but there is no green wire coming out of the engine and only 3 wires not 6 and they are red, grey and striped black. There are also a couple of wires coming out of CDI but they do not appear to be part of the general harness.

Please help

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
It sounds like you have an electric pto clutch, and you charging system is not working, and it I running your battery down after
a time, and it shuts down because the fuel solenoid shuts it off, and will not start again until the battery is recharged.

If you don't have an electric pto, then something is putting a big drain on your system, but the first thing to check would be
ac voltage coming from the alt., and also checking the voltage from the regulator {dc}.

Here is a ipl that may be helpful for reference

OEM Parts

keychange

Threads
It sounds like you have an electric pto clutch, and you charging system is not working, and it I running your battery down after
a time, and it shuts down because the fuel solenoid shuts it off, and will not start again until the battery is recharged.

If you don't have an electric pto, then something is putting a big drain on your system, but the first thing to check would be
ac voltage coming from the alt., and also checking the voltage from the regulator {dc}.

Fish - it does have electric pto but the mower is brand new but had been in storage for over 2 years ( I got what I thought was a good deal ) so the battery was dead on arrival. It does hold a charge and starts fine but doesn't have a lot of grunt to call upon and flattens quickly when turning the motor over - I will replace it when I get down the mountain. The issue is not just the battery as there is no spark when the problem occurs and even a jump start from the car makes no difference.

My parts manual shows the oil cut-out switch but doesn't show where it is located, how to access or wiring that corresponds with the engine I have. I will try the B&S web site once again :(

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
It shows a switch on the oil sump blowup, but doesn't have a part number corresponding with it, which means that your engine doesn't have one.

OEM Parts

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
If yours does/did, it would likely be here.................

Attachments

• DSCN6144.jpg
    DSCN6144.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 14

keychange

Threads
It shows a switch on the oil sump blowup, but doesn't have a part number corresponding with it, which means that your engine doesn't have one.

Fish you are absolutely correct and that blows that theory out of the water - thanks for that. Now I am back where I started and guess I replace the relays one by one :(

tybilly

Threads
youre saying since your wife is light enough to trigger the seat switch,does this occur when you mow also?..if you let this mower run on a flat surface does this problem still happen?dont go replacing relays just yet,lets investigate a little further

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Am I reading this right?
The mower will start and run fine for a few mins then shut off. You checked for spark and there was none.

Here is a simple test. Unhook the kill wire to the coil/coils start the engine. If it shuts off after 10 or so mins then it's a bad coil. If it never shuts off then you know to start testing switches/relays.