Brakes

jross

Threads
After changing out the drive belt on the Cub Cadet 1600, the mower creeps after releasing the speed pedal. The brakes will not stop the mower. I removed the brake assembly and found the pins frozen. Unfortunately I broke one of the mounting bolts. I drilled the broken bolt out but the bit slipped of the bolt and drilled the transaxle. Ok, I tapped the new hole, ground the brake housing so it wouldn't rub against the disc, free'd up the pins, and reassembled the unit like I found it. The brakes will not work, but if I turn the adjuster nut in too far the pads grab the disc. I sure would like to see a schematic on the brake system, since the Cub Cadet manual and the website must think the brake system is not used or just a big secret. It looks as if the brake rod is adjusted as far forward as possible. It looks as if the brake rod, which has adouble offset bend in it, should be located where the offset is located centrally in a hole on the frame. The rod is connected to the brake arm via 4 inch heavy spring and when the brake pedal is pushed I guess the spring is there to prevent to much pressure on the brakes, but as long as the spring is there, there is no way I can center the brake rod. I took a slightly different assembly off a junk mower my BIL left me with and there was no spring connecting the brake rod to the brake arm, although it is a smaller brake assembly. TSC has a Cub on a trailer, so I'll have to look at that one to see if it has the same brake system. I think the brakes never worked and with the old stretched belt I didn't notice. The brake system is pretty simple but I suppose it could have been assembled improperly previously.