Brake Interlock for Craftsman LT2000

Threads
I need help locating the engine interlock for the brake on a Craftsman 917.276761. I have swapped out the engine. I've had it running twice with the brake pulley off. With the brake assembly installed, I cannot get it to run. Anyone with some ideas on what is going on, or where is the actual engine interlock located will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is no interlock on the engine, all interlocks are located on the chassis. When you swapped engines did you check to see if the engine plugs were the same?

Threads
I would think that there is a brake interlock. The engine will not start w/o pushing on the brake. What would that connection be?
I have managed to start the engine twice w/o connecting the wiring harness while engaging the brake while it was not fully attached at the front pulley. With the pulley properly attached, I cannot start the engine. I have tried with and w/o the wiring harness attached. I think there is something with the brake that prevents the starter from turning the engine over. I could be wrong.
thanks for your reply and regards.

Threads
I have not checked engine plugs yet. Can that cause a problem?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As I said it is on the unit chassis. You didn't answer my question. When you swapped engines were the engine plugs the same? If they were not you will have some rewiring to do.

Threads
Sorry, I misinterpreted the question. The wiring plugs were not identical. I have run adapter wires across the engine plug to the chassis plug. I was able to start the engine prior to making any electrical connection except the starter wire.

I somehow think that the brake connection is the problem, since I have need to hold the brake to start the engine. But now that I have it completely attached, I cannot get it to turnover. Is there a mechanical interlock or link that I need to check?

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Maybe if you tell us what engine you had on it before, and the engine you have on it now (model numbers) what make it is, that way we maybe able to give you more info, because am reading your're post and getting alittle lost. but that's just me.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
I believe its a kohler engine
will the engine turn over, or is it that it will just not fire up (run)
wiring diagam shows three wires coming from engine...they are..
ALTERNATOR A/C RED
AFTERFIRE SOLENOID RED/WHITE
ALTERNATOR D/C
MAGNETO FEL

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you did not have the same plugs on each engine, the problem will be figuring out a new wiring scheme. Your tractor will have at least three safety switches that have to be connected in the proper sequence for you to get your engine running. They are the seat safety switch, the brake/clutch safety switch and the PTO safety switch. If any one of these are in the wrong position or wired wrong your engine will not turn over. If one of them is wired wrong, your engine MAY, I REPEAT MAY TURH OVER but will not start. As EngineMan said we will need model and serial numbers from both of your engines and only then will we be able to help you. I just hope that by you possibly connecting the wrong wires together you have not shorted the voltage regulator out. Do you have a test light and multimeter? You will need one.

Threads
Maybe if you tell us what engine you had on it before, and the engine you have on it now (model numbers) what make it is, that way we maybe able to give you more info, because am reading your're post and getting alittle lost. but that's just me.

The old engine was B&S 31P777 type 0602-E2 single cylinder. I am not with the tractor now, but the replacement is a B&S twin cylinder. I'll have to get PN on another post.

I believe that the problem is with the brake interlock since I had the engine running twice prior to fully installing the linkage. The contact has been lost, I think. I am trying to get a resource to locate its placement and how to test this interlock. thanks