BR600 Stihl Blower wont start. Help?

jasonblu

Threads
The screen in the exhaust is problematic. It will cause an abnormal amount of carbon buildup in the combustion chamber and exhaust port on the engine. This will happen even with using Stihl synthetic engine oil.
The screen is there for the machine to be 50 states emissions compliant. It is removable and many have removed it to improve the performance.
What is the compression of this engine?
Although this engine is a 4 stroke with operating intake and exhaust valves, it is a dry sump engine and needs to have mixed fuel, and you know this.
Alternate spark plugs don't work well in these engines, what spark plug do you have in this engine and what is the gap?

I removed the spark arrestor. No change. I removed the exhaust tank. No change. I have a brand new NGK 3365 CMR6H spark plug installed which is what the br600 manual calls for. (Also what came out of it from the factory) the gap is factory set at, I believe, .20 but I could be wrong there.

jasonblu

Threads
The primer bulb draws fuel thru the supply hose, the hose with the filter in the end, thru the carb and back to the fuel tank thru the 2nd hose. If you have spark at the correct time and compression, but engine will not run, then it is likely an internal carb problem.

Ok. So maybe I got a bad carburetor from the dealership today?

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Take the coil off and check it.

jasonblu

Threads
Take the coil off and check it.

Thanks for the tip. can you tell me how to do that or refer me to where I can read up on that procedure?

Does the coil make the spark? Because I get a nice blue spark when I pull the plug out, ground it to the block and pull the cord.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check to see if there is continuity between the low tension terminal (which is used to switch off the engine) and earth.

jasonblu

Threads
Check to see if there is continuity between the low tension terminal (which is used to switch off the engine) and earth.

Wait, I have a nice blue spark. How could it be the coil?

jasonblu

Threads
Not getting any more ideas here I Took it to a small engine guy. He noticed there was no resistance when spinning the starter armature indicating no compression (why did no experienced engine guys on here tell me to check this?). He popped the valve cover off. A rocker arm had slipped off the valve piston. He rotated the arm back and said it would start now. He noted the area was very dry so he squirted some oil over the valve rockers.

Now the big question is why did the arm slip off. Is this indicative of another problem?

jasonblu

Threads
Mad mackie, You did mention compression btw or rather it was assumed it to be good though I never said it was. Until now I didn't know how to know if it was good or not without using a compression tester. Now I know. Spin it and feel for resistance.