Repairs Bought a used L120, lots of surface rust, tearing down and restoring it..

madmunki

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Bought a used L120, lots of surface rust, tearing down and restoring it..
I bought a used JD L120. It runs solid, just has a lot of surface rust. I plan on keeping it around for awhile, so I decided to get intimate with it real quick. I'm doing a tear it down and restore. I'll update this thread as I progress with the project.

Today, I pulled off the deck and broke it down. I wish I got before pictures :mad:

Took off the seat, console and pulled the body.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

BillyP

Threads
Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Retiredcarguy

Threads
I bought a used JD L120. It runs solid, just has a lot of surface rust. I plan on keeping it around for awhile, so I decided to get intimate with it real quick. I'm doing a tear it down and restore. I'll update this thread as I progress with the project.

Today, I pulled off the deck and broke it down. I wish I got before pictures :mad:

Took off the seat, console and pulled the body.

View attachment 22221View attachment 22222View attachment 22223View attachment 22224View attachment 22225View attachment 22226

Welcome! Enjoy your project and "new" John Deere. Work safely!

Nwatson99

Threads
Yes will be following this topic for sure, looks like the rust would have been reduced greatly if the previous owner would have took some initiative to clean it a little bit.

madmunki

Forum Newbie
Threads
I got all the rust sanded/grinded off and re-painted. Battery box was pretty bad, and after cleanup it was still pretty solid. I put 5-6 coats of JD Yellow on the deck and repainted the fender JD Green after a rustoleum primer. I didnt bother trying to completely smooth out the old paint, just painted over it, after all its a tractor... :)

I also serviced the engine; oil flushed and changed, new spark plug, oil filter, air filter, and fuel filter. Adjusted intake and exhaust valves. Tranny drives and pulls hard, so not going to mess with tranny oil / flush (or should I?).

Ill update pictures tonight when I get home.

madmunki

Forum Newbie
Threads
I got all the rust sanded/grinded off and re-painted. Battery box was pretty bad, and after cleanup it was still pretty solid. I put 5-6 coats of JD Yellow on the deck and repainted the fender JD Green after a rustoleum primer. I didnt bother trying to completely smooth out the old paint, just painted over it, after all its a tractor... :)

I also serviced the engine; oil flushed and changed, new spark plug, oil filter, air filter, and fuel filter. Adjusted intake and exhaust valves. Tranny drives and pulls hard, so not going to mess with tranny oil / flush (or should I?).

Ill update pictures tonight when I get home.

IMG_0211.jpg
IMG_0212.jpg
IMG_0215.jpg

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Just checked out your latest pics , Man she looks sweet !!! Looks like ya made a mistake though , ( the water ) guess ya washed her down , AVOID the water.... use a blower or comressed air and a rag . The decks are notorious for trapping water , if you must wash it , dry it off , and leave it in the sun to "bake" .... RUST NEVER SLEEPS !!! I'll be lookin for the next machine . Boobala ..:thumbsup:

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Great project.