Engine Bogs down when speed increases

schmidtsm

Threads
I just bought a 220 Grasshopper 48" 2007 with 600 hours on it. I have mowed with it twice and the second time i started it up waited about 2 minutes then started to mow. If i tried to mowe after than about 5 MPH it would loose power and bog down. The guy i bought it from said he did all of th maintainence on it but he also new this was his last year of mowing. So you know how that goes. He was pretty honest and discloed a few things that he would replace and stated it may need some carburetor work. He stated he hasn't started it in about three months. If there was gas left in it is there anything i could do? Should i change the fuel filter? I was thinking about doing all of the 200 hour maintenance anyways? I would appreciate everyones advice!

Thanks.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Give it a full service and I would also take off the carb and give that a good clean out, work on the carb fuel lines and tank making sure all are clean, have you given it a compression test, do that if you can.

schmidtsm

Threads
So, just so i am clear I should do the 200 hour maintainence then clean the carburator? When you mean clean the carburator does that entail taking every peice apart, cleaning it, then putting it back together? If so, what sort of skill level does that take? I am really wondering how complicated of a project am i getting myself into? I am relatively handy but this is uncharted teritory for me. How much would someone charge to get this done? I wouldn't mind attempting but in the end i need a lawn mower that runs and i don't want to give it the old college try then end up bringing it to the shop to fix my project... Are there any step by step by step guides on doing this?

thanks for you assistance

turnerbend

Forum Newbie
Threads
Change the fuel filter and go from there. Be sure all safety switches are working properly

173abn

Threads
start it up and spray some carb cleaner in it.change the air filter and use fresh gas.I'd also do an oil change.see if that helps...russ

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
It has done 600 hours, how many full services has it had...? and hasn't started it in about three months, if you go by people who will tell you "just do this", or "just do that" to me that is not a full services and you did say you wanted to do a full service.
If you will look after the mower the mower should give you years of service, download a workshop manual for it, read it, and go from there.

schmidtsm

Threads
I changed and get the spark plugs and it ran like it was new! I appreciate everyone's comments and advice thanks again.