Bobbing oil dip stick?

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Briggs 44S777-0016-G1 23hp
On a Husqvarna Z346
Ok, I've been had. Good one fella's. Jokes on me. Har har. :p
That thing that was posted about how a oil dip stick will flop around if it's got a bad head gasket, well I tried it on this one, and it did just that. But I also tried it on another piece of equipment that I knew for a fact didn't have a bad head gasket, and it did the same exact thing.

So I'm wondering, maybe who ever said that meant that the dip stick would bobble more than this. Here's a video to show how much it's bobbing.

What this engine is doing, 90% of the time is surging. (all the way until filming this) But choking it doesn't level it out. So that tells me it's an air problem. Which could be a head gasket.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would be pulling the head on both engines if I saw that.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
One thing to check with being a Nikki twin barrel is loose main jets.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Now Scrub you know everything on YouTube is the gospel truth. So don't try on overtax PT's brain. <LOL> Just pulling you leg PT.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And I just got in an engine that runs for about 3-4 rounds on the customer's lawn and then starts to act up. Well he tried fixing the carb himself. Don't know what else is wrong yet. But bowl gasket was damaged and it was new when he installed it. The wrong inlet tube o-ring. And of all things the main jet is awol. So I thinking he has at least a carburetor problem but I might be wrong too.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Stop & have a little think
As the pistons descend the crankcase is pressurised .
Air will take the path of least resistance so it is simply a case that lifting the weight of the dip stick requires less energy than opening the breather valve .
Next time you get one in with a known blown gasket, try the same thing & you should see that dip stick lift several inches if not get blown right out of the tube .

Last edited:

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you think about it, the piston is displacing air, when you open the dipstick tube, its going to suck air and push air out of the tube.
That's what make sense. The piston alone can cause a dipstick to do this.
Now Scrub you know everything on YouTube is the gospel truth. So don't try on overtax PT's brain. <LOL> Just pulling you leg PT.

Hey now, that's me in the video. :p

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Stop & have a little think
As the pistons descend the crankcase is pressurised .
Air will take the path of least resistance so it is simply a case that lifting the weight of the dip stick requires less energy than opening the breather valve .
Next time you get one in with a known blown gasket, try the same thing & you should see that dip stick lift several inches if not get blown right out of the tube .

Where does the extra pressure come from, since the only way from the combustion chamber to the sump is either through the valve guides or passed the rings.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That's what make sense. The piston alone can cause a dipstick to do this.

Hey now, that's me in the video. :p
Glad I don't watch YouTube videos lately as my welding helmet is broken. Everytime I get near a camera I break it. Even the mirrors turn their backs to me.