Blown head gasket?

bugbug98

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,

Ryobi rider, Kohler 19 hp Courage. It's been exhausting oil for a couple seasons now. I was mowing the other day and it was running a tad bit rough. Then, it shut down suddenly. Gas, air filter, etc. fine. Didn't hit anything. Will crank but zero ignition. Could the head gasket finally have gone and caused this? I'm not leery of replacing it, just curious if this is the likely cause before I start tearing it apart. Thank you for your time in advance.

Lawnranger

Threads
A compression test will tell you if too low and a cylinder leak down test will help pinpoint the leak, if present. Low compression can cause a no-start condition. The test tools can be costly if you don't own them and a head gasket is usually under $10.00 plus your time. Your call.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Buy a neon tube spark tester and a can of starter fluid.
Check for spark first.
If good then try the starter fluid.
No joy remove rocker cover & check for proper valve action.
AT this point in time you are only 6 bolts away from doing the head gasket

bugbug98

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok, thanks. Have spark. Starter fluid didn't work. Pulled valve cover. Looks like the exhaust valve clip is broken. Other clip is fine. Now I should check for bent push rod? Thanks again.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
By clip I am assuming you mean the bent steel plate that goes from the pushrod to the valve tip.
If so it is called a rocker arm.
Please download the parts book and try to use correct names, it makes it a lot easier for all to understand what you are talking about.
This will in turn make it easier for them to help you.
It won't hurt to pull out the pushrod roll ot on a flat surface ( glass is good ) and check for a bend.
If it is good replace it set the valve lash around .006" and try again with the strter fluid, very briefly, leave the valve cover off and beware it will be messy so some rag under the cover is a good idea.