Big Box Store or Local Dealer

Big Box or Dealer

• Total voters

MowerMike

Threads
WOW, 17% below MSRP, still making a profit. That's roughly $30. Thats the difference you were asking for. How does the small dealer make profit. Reduce that by taking off shipping, employee time setting up, a little fuel, etc. Why do you think he can't reduce the price that much. Any of you every think about overhead. Big Box buys a 1000 at a crack for an even better price. Where are we supposed to make our living. Do we make it on repairs, no wait, you say we charge to much. Thats why you come to this forum, don't go to the repair shop and ask for help, you've already got him ticked off with you attitude toward him. Are there bad dealers out there? You bet, I have my sure and will tell people not to do there no matter the price. Give your local good dealer a break. How many small dealers and repair shops have gone out of business in your area in the last 10 years? I wonder why? Thanks you to everyone that really supports their local guys with their $$$$. To those who love the BB's, read my signature.

PS: Reynoldston, I understand where you are coming from, because I think you are old school, which means you already give away more repairs than you should, but that's the way we were brought up. But, I'll bet that you are in good relations with at least one repair shop in your area.

First off, small dealers don't make their livings off homeowners like myself that buy one small ticket item like a handheld blower, and do their own service because the tool is so simple. They make their livings off pros who buy dozens of tools and big ticket items like ZTRs that require major maintenance. If they can't make a living selling equipment at MSRP or DRSP then they deserve to go out of business. There are plenty of successful dealers where I live that have been in business for decades. It took my dealer's tech about 30 seconds to put some gas in my Echo SRM-225 trimmer and start it up to make sure it was ok. It was already assembled on the rack, but then so are the ones sold at HD. I'll patronize this dealer when he has a product that I want, even if his price is a bit higher than BB, but I doubt it's going to have much affect on his bottom line or that he's going out of business because a small spender like myself doesn't patronize his shop.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
WOW, 17% below MSRP, still making a profit. That's roughly $30. Thats the difference you were asking for. How does the small dealer make profit. Reduce that by taking off shipping, employee time setting up, a little fuel, etc. Why do you think he can't reduce the price that much. Any of you every think about overhead. Big Box buys a 1000 at a crack for an even better price. Where are we supposed to make our living. Do we make it on repairs, no wait, you say we charge to much. Thats why you come to this forum, don't go to the repair shop and ask for help, you've already got him ticked off with you attitude toward him. Are there bad dealers out there? You bet, I have my sure and will tell people not to do there no matter the price. Give your local good dealer a break. How many small dealers and repair shops have gone out of business in your area in the last 10 years? I wonder why? Thanks you to everyone that really supports their local guys with their $$$$. To those who love the BB's, read my signature.

PS: Reynoldston, I understand where you are coming from, because I think you are old school, which means you already give away more repairs than you should, but that's the way we were brought up. But, I'll bet that you are in good relations with at least one repair shop in your area.

Got to agree with all of that!!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you truly believe what you posted, you don't know much about the small engine repair business. That blower you took off the wall has to be assembled, for your information it comes in a box. Gas ain't cheap. Time is even more expensive, you have a guy that is faster than a NASCAR pick crew, if he can set up a piece of equipment in 30 seconds. If you think that dealers make their living off the big landscapers, the drought has got your brain fried. They make their living on their customer service with the little guys returning year after year and spreading the word. The bigs guys put the furniture in the house, but the little guys put the food on the table. If you have the guts, print this thread out and take it to your dealer and see if he agrees with you or me.

MowerMike

Threads
If you truly believe what you posted, you don't know much about the small engine repair business. That blower you took off the wall has to be assembled, for your information it comes in a box. Gas ain't cheap. Time is even more expensive, you have a guy that is faster than a NASCAR pick crew, if he can set up a piece of equipment in 30 seconds. If you think that dealers make their living off the big landscapers, the drought has got your brain fried. They make their living on their customer service with the little guys returning year after year and spreading the word. The bigs guys put the furniture in the house, but the little guys put the food on the table. If you have the guts, print this thread out and take it to your dealer and see if he agrees with you or me.

You have a reading comprehension problem and a lot of pent up anger that you are misdirecting towards me. The trimmer was already assembled, so all he had to do was gas it and pull the cord a few times to get it started. The trimmers are also fully assembled at HD, and I can gas and start one myself in 30 seconds. He put about 50 cents worth of gas in it. So, if you are suggesting that the dealer somehow added $30 of value to this item through his extra time and material, then you need to go back to school and learn some basic math. As to the dealer I patronized, I have no problem with him and he has none with me, since there was no argument about pricing.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
First off, small dealers don't make their livings off homeowners like myself that buy one small ticket item like a handheld blower, and do their own service because the tool is so simple. They make their livings off pros who buy dozens of tools and big ticket items like ZTRs that require major maintenance. If they can't make a living selling equipment at MSRP or DRSP then they deserve to go out of business. There are plenty of successful dealers where I live that have been in business for decades. It took my dealer's tech about 30 seconds to put some gas in my Echo SRM-225 trimmer and start it up to make sure it was ok. It was already assembled on the rack, but then so are the ones sold at HD. I'll patronize this dealer when he has a product that I want, even if his price is a bit higher than BB, but I doubt it's going to have much affect on his bottom line or that he's going out of business because a small spender like myself doesn't patronize his shop.

Dealers dont make money selling any product due to times involved.
Most dealers will get about 20-30% discount.
1st we have to order it either by phone or internet ordering system but thats time.
2nd it arrives and we have to unpack, pdi, and testrun, time
3rd we hope somebody comes in the showroom to buy as we have bought the product so out of pocket from the start and when they do we advise and decide what product which takes time.
4th Depending on product we might have to go to potential customer to be to check garden and landscape which takes time.
5th depending on product we might have to deliver which takes time.
6th we take payment, raise invoice and create warranty which takes time.

So the % we make is just lost due to lack of production in the workshop as we cant afford a full time salesperson due to everybody buying online or bigbox.

As for discount , that is a swearword in my place.
Would you ask for discount at your local supermarket till?

MowerMike

Threads
Dealers dont make money selling any product due to times involved.
Most dealers will get about 20-30% discount.
1st we have to order it either by phone or internet ordering system but thats time.
2nd it arrives and we have to unpack, pdi, and testrun, time
3rd we hope somebody comes in the showroom to buy as we have bought the product so out of pocket from the start and when they do we advise and decide what product which takes time.
4th Depending on product we might have to go to potential customer to be to check garden and landscape which takes time.
5th depending on product we might have to deliver which takes time.
6th we take payment, raise invoice and create warranty which takes time.

So the % we make is just lost due to lack of production in the workshop as we cant afford a full time salesperson due to everybody buying online or bigbox.

As for discount , that is a swearword in my place.
Would you ask for discount at your local supermarket till?

Who's asking for a discount ? I'm just saying don't sell it at a markup over MSRP. Jeez. If you don't want my business, because I'm buying a low ticket item that won't be brought in for maintenance, then just say so and I won't bother to patronize your business. I didn't have it special ordered, and knew what I wanted when I walked in the store.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
My " pent up anger" is directed toward you and all others who have no idea the costs that it takes to run a small business of any type. Case in point, I don't know of one small engine piece of equipment which is delivered to any business that doesnot have to be set up in someway before it goes on the floor. All you see is the product hanging on the wall and a salesperson of some type taking the money. You have no idea of all the money which goes out the door behind the counter. I'll say it again, take this thread to your dealer, I'll bet he agrees with me. In fact, take it to the manager of the HD, I'll bet he agrees with me also.

MowerMike

Threads
My " pent up anger" is directed toward you and all others who have no idea the costs that it takes to run a small business of any type. Case in point, I don't know of one small engine piece of equipment which is delivered to any business that does not have to be set up in someway before it goes on the floor. All you see is the product hanging on the wall and a salesperson of some type taking the money. You have no idea of all the money which goes out the door behind the counter. I'll say it again, take this thread to your dealer, I'll bet he agrees with me. In fact, take it to the manager of the HD, I'll bet he agrees with me also.

Wrong. I DO know what it takes to run a small retail business, because I successfully ran one for 20 years. Only, in my case it was a bicycle shop, which is one of the most cutthroat businesses there are. So, you can take your opinions and shove them.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Who's asking for a discount ? I'm just saying don't sell it at a markup over MSRP. Jeez. If you don't want my business, because I'm buying a low ticket item that won't be brought in for maintenance, then just say so and I won't bother to patronize your business. I didn't have it special ordered, and knew what I wanted when I walked in the store.

I didnt say you had said anything about discount. All i was meaning is i hate people expecting a discount from a local shop but dont ask for discount at a super market.
When it was marked up maybe he had bought it at the wrong price so had to mark up.
A customer that buys anything from a spark plug at low money to a tractor at a lot of money is important to any business.

Also i dont understand what patronize means.
Do you mean to be loyal to the shop or to put the shop down?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And all your bikes came fully assembled. All you did was put hot air in the tires. I stand by my posts.