Best way to seal gas leak on weed trimmer plastic tank

kdrymer

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Best way to seal gas leak on weed trimmer plastic tank
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the correct place to be posting this but I have a weed trimmer that is leaking gas around the black rubber grommet for the supply and return fuel lines going into the tank. I tried sealing with a standard silicone caulk and the gas just ate through the silicone and leaked again a day later. Is there another product that is gas resistant to seal this up? I found another product called Seal-All, wondering if others have used this successfully.

Attachments

• 2022-08-12 13_30png.png
    2022-08-12 13_30png.png
    839.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Replace both the fuel lines and the rubber tank grommet. As this where I thinking your leak is at.

kdrymer

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's all brand new and an off-name brand, so I would rather seal around it if possible...

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well you can not seal it with any goop that will last for more than a couple of uses
The tank is pressurised so expands a little when used then contracts .
If it is new send it back as a leaking fuel tank is safety issue and the retailer is obliged to replace a dangerous item
While I don't want to sound preachy, there is a very good reason why cheap tools are cheap.
or to quote my grandad
"He who buys cheap pays thrice "
So your problem could be
1) hole is too big, measure it & post the measurement
2) grommet is too small or is old & hard or mage from junk rubber & too soft, replace it
3) fuel lines are too soft
Or any combination of the above
There are several sizes of tank grommets so if you are lucky it can be replaced with a slightly bigger one .