Best Oil To Use For Kawasaki

GrumpyCat

Threads
I would not call "solid lifter" engines defective.
I didn't say that. I said, "high lift hot rod engines with solid lifters". Big difference. Almost every automobile on the road has solid lifters, even those with hydraulic lifters. But go to high lift and high spring rates for high RPM, the pressure on the camshaft is increased beyond what a reasonable oil film can protect.

GrumpyCat

Threads
I think ZDDP is primarily a means for Lawn Mower Oil Salesmen to instill F.U.D. in consumers and "mechanics" to buy their product. ZDDP is something that eliminates automotive motor oils.

Fear Uncertainty Doubt.

GrumpyCat

Threads
Please can ya explain that statement ?
"Almost every..."

Hydraulic lifters slide on camshaft same as "solid" lifters. Vs the use of a roller lifter which costs more than a solid bucket. A roller lifter is essential on high lift cam lobes. Essential for high spring rates due to the added force against the cam lobe. But many hot rod builders cut corners using solid lifters because they could get away with it using ZDDP oil. Mobil-1 changed the formulation of "red cap" (and changed the cap color to gold) 15W-50 just over 20 years ago and caught many unawares. Supposedly, for a while at least, they put ZDDP back in the oil.

Can't get away with it for long because the ZDDP is consumed when metal-to-metal contact occurs.

When ZDDP oil is "necessary" it indicates the engine design is inferior. Too high of contact pressure someplace. And/or inadequate oiling. Indicates high stress, not low stress.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I didn't say that. I said, "high lift hot rod engines with solid lifters". Big difference. Almost every automobile on the road has solid lifters, even those with hydraulic lifters. But go to high lift and high spring rates for high RPM, the pressure on the camshaft is increased beyond what a reasonable oil film can protect.
That post seems to have disappeared.. & You did say that."every automobile on the road has solid lifters, even those with hydraulic lifters".

Don't pee on my leg & tell me it's raining..

Last edited:

GrumpyCat

Threads

Wrenchit

Threads
How much zinc?
I can't tell you the amount, But as a certified Small engine mechanic I can say that Kawasaki and Kohler oil both have Zink (Same oil, different label).
Short story: One Sunday I was servicing my neighbor's lawn mower and didn't have the Honda oil I normally use in low end machines, so after adjusting the valves, I threw in some Kohler oil and it was done, But was no valve noise.
Pulled the valve cover and rechecked the valve lash and it was perfect, so just chalked it up as one of those things.

The following week, I brought one of my lawn tractors to the shop, adjusted the valves, and put in the Honda oil. Same valve noise as expected. After I let it run for 30 minutes,I dropped the oil and filter and used Kohler oil and a new Briggs filter and low and behold, no noise.
The oil got rid of the noise.
At Kawasaki Service school I asked the difference between the Kohler oil and the Kawi oil they were hawking and was told the same oil, different labels but I could buy a mixed pallet of weights (30W and 10W-30) unlike Kohler where I was stuck just getting a pallet of one weight.
Now all I use is whatever is cheaper, Kawasaki oil or Kohler oil. it is the best you can get for High-temperature air-cooled engines.
Just tell people not to put it in their cars, It will poison (ruin) the Catalytic converter.
Kawi Oil is at the dealer, but Tractor Supply carries Kohler oil if you are not in the repair biz and want to buy some for your personal lawn equipment.
Since there is no more lead in the gas, the Zink is a must for the oldies like the Kohler Magnums and the old L-head Briggs and Stratton engines.
Wrenchit

GrumpyCat

Threads
Has been claimed, “automobile oil has no zinc” which is incorrect. If Kawasaki oil is so great for having zinc then how much does it have?