Best mowing RPM for Kohler 25hp Courage

fox5flyer

Threads
Your engine has a max RPM of 3600 with no load. Wide Open Throttle without any load, no deck load, engine only. You posted "3260rpm with full power and mower deck running." What's the RPM without load. What kind of tachometer do you have? You should use a laser tachometer to check your tachs accuracy, then you know your RPM numbers are correct. Just saying....

Thanks for the input.
RPMs were the same even with the engine loaded with mower deck running, or at least very close which tells me the governor is doing its job, but just need a tiny adjustment. I'm not near as concerned about the RPMs as I am the BTS.
Later: I just finished up adjusting the governor as instructed in the utube vid and now I'm getting 3380 rpm (most I can get out of it) which brings my bts up to 19,103 which is right about where I want it. Could be a tad higher, but close enough for me. At least I know what its doing and I'm not guessing. The tach is a Sendec electronic unit that wraps a wire around one of the spark plug wires 5 turns.
Now, I just keep it sharp and go like hell!
Thanks everyone.
Deke
PS: I wonder how many folks will install a tach now.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Your engine has a max RPM of 3600 with no load. Wide Open Throttle without any load, no deck load, engine only. You posted "3260rpm with full power and mower deck running." What's the RPM without load. What kind of tachometer do you have? You should use a laser tachometer to check your tachs accuracy, then you know your RPM numbers are correct. Just saying....

The engine has a suggested max rpm of 3600. But is capable of much higher RPMs
But it is not recommended to go higher then 3600.

I run my briggs 18hp intek on my snapper at 4500 with a briggs rev kit.

I run all my other engines at 3800 and as we all know running at 3800 will not hurt the engine.

If our government would stay out of the mower business then all engines would be set to run higher RPMs