Best engine made

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just out of curosity what in your oppinion is the best engine made. Mine is the Briggs and Stratton Vanguard. Especialy the big block. And why? They are strong running smoothe and don't give problems. Dixie Chopper uses this engine to replace the Generac engine when they go down. Generac was a great engine until the EPA set the emission standards like they are and Generac to meet the standards instead of redesigning the engine to meet the standards they just kept leaning the carb down. That caused the head of the exhaust valves to pop off and destroy the engines. Had a customer with an XXW2500 Dixie Chopper with a 25 hp Kohler EFI on it, Put the Vanguard on it. He came back the next day and wanted to take me to Top Hogs, the best barbacue place in town. Too bad I had to decline since I was in the middle of doing a PDI on a new mower. Pre Delivery Inspection. We have replaced several engines on mowers with no complaints and no problems. Just did one today. Nice.

Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Predator 212. HA! ;)
In my opinion, the engine in my profile picture, Kawasaki FE290, or more so, the FE series engine.
Kawasaki used them in their early model Mule 500 series, which i've worked on quite a few (usually equipment issues, not engine issues), and seen quite a few with 4K hours plus, they still fire up with the touch of the key and and run smooth. I've rebuilt one, they appear engineered heavy duty and are easy to work on, just wish the flywheel side had a ball bearing instead of a plain bearing.
It's kind of hard to narrow the best engine ever made, i would go as far as to say what is the best engine of each manufacturer,is more realistic.