Best cordless battery mower that will last a long time

chriswx

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Best cordless battery mower that will last a long time
So, I am getting ready to say good bye to my 35 year old Honda HR214 mower. Since we see the government going in the direction of doing away with the small gas engines, my wife thought we should go green, instead of purchasing another gas mower. So, I am looking for a cordless battery mower that will last just as long as my 35 year old Honda. That's it. That's my only requirement. I just want it to last. So, any suggestions on the best brands or models would be appreciated. My yard is just about 3/4 of an acre. Hopefully I could do my whole yard on a single charge.

Also, if there are problems with the mower, would I be able to bring it to my local outdoor power equipment shop to get serviced or repaired? I don't think my local shop sells any of the electric mowers yet, but hopefully they can still fix them. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Five years tops for a battery mower
and even then most will not have replacement batteries available
Lots of posts here complaining they their perfectly good mower is useless because they can not get batteries for it .
Every couple of years the makers up the battery voltage and when they do that the old ones become obsolete

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Five years tops for a battery mower
and even then most will not have replacement batteries available
Lots of posts here complaining they their perfectly good mower is useless because they can not get batteries for it .
Every couple of years the makers up the battery voltage and when they do that the old ones become obsolete
And in a lot of cases even before the warranty on the mower is expired. Or if the battery is still available the replacement cost will be close to the cost of mower or even exceed the cost of replacing the mower.

MowerMike

Threads
You will not find any cordless electric walk behind mowers that will last 35 years, and none that will mow 3/4 of an acre
on a single charge. The mower itself could last over ten years if it has a brushless motor, but the batteries probably will not and are the big cost component of the mower.

ride2nite

Forum Newbie
Threads
So, I am getting ready to say good bye to my 35 year old Honda HR214 mower. Since we see the government going in the direction of doing away with the small gas engines, my wife thought we should go green, instead of purchasing another gas mower. So, I am looking for a cordless battery mower that will last just as long as my 35 year old Honda. That's it. That's my only requirement. I just want it to last. So, any suggestions on the best brands or models would be appreciated. My yard is just about 3/4 of an acre. Hopefully I could do my whole yard on a single charge.

Also, if there are problems with the mower, would I be able to bring it to my local outdoor power equipment shop to get serviced or repaired? I don't think my local shop sells any of the electric mowers yet, but hopefully they can still fix them. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

ride2nite

Forum Newbie
Threads
35 years on the Honda...screw the government...buy another Honda!!!

mmoffitt

Threads

Run what you Brung' NG on Electric!

mmoffitt

Threads
Run what you Brung' NG on Electric!

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
what's wrong with the Honda? can it be repaired?

3/4 acre, I'd probably stay with ICE.

I do have batteries that are 9 years old, but I can't imagine them lasting 3X that. They are pricey, but you should consider them prepurchased fuel. Then they don't seem pricey.

As for the rest of the mower, who knows? There are many electric motors that last 35+ years. Even some that experience wide temp ranges and vibration (in vehicle use) . I drove a 1981 Honda Civic wagon for 19 years that left me with original heater fan, radiator fan, and starter motors.

But these mowers are made in China to compete to a price point so.....?

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
Nothing I used in the yard, battery or corded lasted more than 10 years with occasional use, or much less with frequent use. On occasion a switch went out or something like that, and it could be replaced. Even new other equipment that I use in the garage occasionally, drills etc., don't last if used on a regular basis. Last year I threw away a six month old Bosch skill saw because parts were not available. They were listed but the manufacturer did not have them - already NLA, replaced with a new part that fit differently. A new Toro weed wacker head exploded on me. No harm to me, just broken parts. It was a week old. The string caught on a metal fence post wire. They replaced it. There were no repairable parts in the head. You will find the same when you buy a new electric mower. I am about to replace several pieces of ICE equipment I have because they are old, and I do not want to go thru replacing electric lawn equipment on a regular basis. People are being honest with you about their experiences.