Belt whipping

Grassbandit

Threads
Regent Hydro 12 with mower deck 1692366.
When mowing deck engaged I notice that the belt tends to 'whip' as it moves around.
Why is this happening? Is it supposed to?

scott47429

Threads
it will have some movement in it but if its wiping alot you may just need a new belt

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Make sure that the belt tensioner is moving freely. If it sticks the belt will whip more than it should.

Grassbandit

Threads
Ok I got it right. I needed to make the tension on the belt tighter. My concern is always never wanting to overtighten belts, especially in situations where there's an adjustable tension rod.
Is there a sure fire way to measure belt tension??:cool:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is no sure fire way that I know of. Most of it is experience. With the tension on the belt tight, the best way to start is no more than 3/4" deflection with moderate finger pressure.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you do a search for " V belt tension gauge " you'll find all kinds from about 15 bucks to well above and beyond what we would want to pay for lawn mower work.

After studying some of them and their operation we can see why most mechanics use the thumb / finger pressure method.

I use the wet noodle / guitar string method just for entertainment. If it acts like a wet noodle when pulled and released, well that's too loose. If it begins to vibrate similar to a guitar string that's getting PDC - purty dam close.

FYI - springs have an operating range and that range isn't as wide as some would think or like it to be. Good judgement often tells us when we're in the ball park with that.