Belt routing trouble!

Mattdad1

Threads
Having trouble understanding and executing the main (long) drive belt routing on a 2012 Craftsman LT2000 247.288852 (MTD, Troy Built, others) I verified the new belt length against the worn out belt, so I know that I’m the problem. Of course I didn’t take photos BEFORE I removed the original belt, because “it’s so simple”!
I’ve found MANY videos covering models that are close (but not the same) but I can’t translate to my mower. The manual doesn’t address changing the drive belts, only the deck belts.
On my model, the Vari-Drive pulley is bolted to the left side of the mower at the extreme back. Not the vari drive that’s spring mounted/loaded. IMG_6294.jpegIMG_6295.jpeg
Any help out there?
I have attached photos of the undercarriage for reference.
Thanks in advance!
Matt

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First, with a VariDrive system it is always recommended that you change both belts at the same time. Second, your belt is routed wrong in the second picture. The back, flat side, of the belt should be in contact on the first idler pulley. The second pulley should really be a V-pulley, because the V-side of the belt will ride in the V-groove. I know the parts diagram I’ve attached shows both are flat pulleys which I don’t understand.

Mattdad1

Threads
Thanks! Yes, I have both belts and will replace both. The top belt is no problem. It can only install one way.
I noticed the idlers are the same, and are called out that way in the manual.
I’ll give your routing a try, though I think I had it like they before the photo and as I’m the photo, there is way too much slack in the belt.
thanks again!
matt

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
What is the engine to variable belt Pn that you have? Appears to be the wrong belt. Should be PN 954-0467A which is 90.8 belt.

Also appears you have the belt routed wrong.
1687219844688.png
Your routing
1687220056310.png