Battery trickle/smart charger necessary?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Here in Wisconsin I recommend to my customers that they remove the battery from the unit or in your case, semi heated garage, just disconnect the battery cables, after making sure the battery is fully charged. Half way through the winter hook up a trickle charger and bring the battery back up to full charge, approximately 12.6 VDC. If you store the battery outside the unit, make sure it is on a piece of wood, not concrete floor. I’ve found that the quality of the battery makes a big difference on how long they will last. I only use Interstate batteries and I get 7-10 years doing it this way. Current battery is six years old.

KM Richards

Threads
that will sit in the semi-heated garage over winter

They have those little smart chargers that you could connect to your battery that will trickle charge it only as necessary to keep it at a healthy charge.

This is likely going to be better for the battery's health verses disconnecting it and letting it sit there, although doing that should at lest not cause any draw from it whatsoever.

I got one of these little chargers from Auto Zone and it works great:

Duralast 15 Amp 6/12 Volt Marine Battery Charger DL-15D

It works for numerous battery types and it has the built in smart charge so it can maintain a battery by trickle charging only what the battery needs to stay healthy.