Battery trickle/smart charger necessary?

sam.marrocco

Threads
I have a Toro 42" Timecutter Zero-Turn that will sit in the semi-heated garage over winter (from November through April here in Michigan).

I'm wondering how necessary a trickle/smart charger would be if I were to start the mower and run it for a few minutes every month (or two weeks)? Would that be enough to 'top off' the battery life?

I know the chargers aren't expensive; I'm just looking to avoid getting Yet Another Single Purpose Tool that I've never needed except for this purpose.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
It’s cheaper to buy a battery tender than to buy a battery on a yearly basis.

Born2Mow

Threads
Not a simple Yes/No question. Lots of things to consider....

1. I do not run my mower from October to April here in Georgia What I have found is that I do NOT need to maintain my Exmark mower battery... IF I use a battery disconnect device. This because the main discharging path is through the diodes of the rectifier, so the battery MUST be physically disconnected during storage.

Link To Battery Disconnect

2. However, in Georgia we do NOT get into extended periods of freezing temps. We are usually in the 30-40F at night; then we'll have about 20 nights total in the 20F zone. My mower and battery are kept indoors, out of the wind and rain, but NOT in a heated or insulated space. Cold lowers the specific gravity of the battery, which can lead to physical conditions conducive to battery sulphation, which is death for most common types of batteries. Colder climates will call for different types of action.

3. One of the results of intermittent maintenance charging is to raise the internal temperature of the battery. This might offset freezing temps, but if used too much can also "cook" the battery to death. Batteries do NOT like constant maintenance charging, nor do they like being kept at "full charge". Additionally, in my professional experience most of the "maintenance chargers" being sold are charging at a rate that's far too high. (I know Yusua recommends an intermittent charge rate no higher than 1/10th of the AH rating. That means ~1/2 to 3/4A [500mA to 750mA].) This means a charger needs to be fairly technical in order to remain connected 24/7 and not to "cook" your battery. If you can't afford a $70+ battery charger, then the next best step might be to use a lamp timer set to allow the charger to be ON for only 30 minutes a day.

In short: 1) disconnect the battery, 2) keep the ambient temps between 40-60F, and 3) limit the duration AND charge rate if you must charge.

Last edited:

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
It depends on lots of things....

1. I do not run my mower from October to April here in Georgia What I have found is that I DO NOT need to trickle charge the battery on my Exmark IF I use a battery disconnect device. This because the main discharging path is through the diodes of the rectifier.

However, in Georgia we do not get into extended periods of freezing temps. We are usually in the 30-40F at night, but then my shop is indoor, but NOT heated.

2. I'm still composing...
I’m also in Georgia (Sumter County). My storage shed is enclosed, too. I will continue to use my mower until all of the leaves have fallen. I usually begin mowing in March. I still use a battery tender.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm wondering how necessary a trickle/smart charger would be if I were to start the mower and run it for a few minutes every month (or two weeks)? Would that be enough to 'top off' the battery life?
Running a cold machine for only a few minutes every so often causes condensation (by product of internal combustion) inside the engine crankcase etc.
If ur gonna run it like that, it should be run for about 20 minutes (full heat) or so to burn out the condensation from the internals. Otherwise you're collecting water in the oil fluids.

I never start my stuff thru winter, unless I'm wrenching on it.. I use (small) 1.50mA Battery MINDers on my stuff. My OE battery on my Panel truck lasted 11 years, & 7 years on my former Toro, sold with OE battery still doing & load testing well.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Running a cold machine for only a few minutes every so often causes condensation (by product of internal combustion) inside the engine crankcase etc.
If ur gonna run it like that, it should be run for about 20 minutes (full heat) or so to burn out the condensation from the internals. Otherwise you're collecting water in the oil fluids.

I never start my stuff thru winter, unless I'm wrenching on it.. I use (small) 1.50mA Battery MINDers on my stuff. My OE battery on my Panel truck lasted 11 years, & 7 years on my former Toro, sold with OE battery still doing & load testing well.
Running a mower at wide open throttle literally only trickle charges it (13.5-14.5 volts). A fully charged healthy battery is fully charged at 12.75 volts. So starting it and running it for a few minutes will not even begin to charge a battery sitting over winter. Running it during the mower season if only run a short period will often/sometimes not charge battery correctly. Get a trickle charger and accomplish 2 main things:
1) Extend battery life by sometimes doubling it from say 3 years to 6 years.
2) Eliminates the jump starts and wondering if battery has enough juice.

Forest#2

Threads
I've been using two of these for about 6 years.
I've used other but this one actually works great, well worth the price. You can just connect and leave it be, no concern about overcharging. It will completely charge a dead or low battery in few days but that is not it's purpose. Both lights will be on when it's charging and when completely charged on a good battery the green light will flash. Color codes for such on the bottom of the unit.
You might shop around and save few dollars.
I'm subbed to NT on-lines sales and bought them one at a time on sale. Bought the 2nd one after couple years because the first one worked so well.
I use them on all kinds of Bats, automotive, lawn tractor.
Battery Minder 12v @ 1 amp. Well worth this price but sub to Norther tool email sales and they will eventually go on sale.
Here is a link to review.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I like the temperature compensators on Battery MINDers, adjusts float to less in hot & more in cold.
Plus the 10 year warranty on mine.

TonyPrin

Threads
I'm convinced a trickle charger can extend battery life and use one, myself. It seems to offer low cost protection. Beyond that, the first start of the season could be a problem without one even if the battery is just a little weak.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
I'm convinced a trickle charger can extend battery life and use one, myself. It seems to offer low cost protection. Beyond that, the first start of the season could be a problem without one even if the battery is just a little weak.
The fact is most people don’t have trickle chargers, or battery chargers period. If they do, they rarely use them. My favorite is the NOCO brand.