Battery snafu

fin2002

Forum Newbie
Threads
I hooked up a new battery backwards in my Craftsman riding mower, then tried to start it, It made a buzzing sound, then nothing. No smoke. Corrected battery terminals, tried to restart. Nothing. What did I do? Battery still tests good. I feel so stupid, trying to do things to fast. Not double checking.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check all your fuses - they can be blown even if they don't look like it. Hope you didn't burn out relays, starter, or starter solenoid.

Good Luck !

fin2002

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply. I replaced the 30 Amp fuse and the solenoid. No results. Called a friend and he thanks I blew the regulator. Looked on line and found one for $88.00. Hope this works. If not, I'm out of luck. Expensive snafu.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
The voltage regulator will not cause what you have described... It may be bad but it will not keep you from starting, it will keep you from charging...

Do you have a Volt Ohm meter? You need to check where you do have voltage ... AND more important where you do not have voltage...
Check for an in line fuse OR fusible link, in the wiring on the battery side of the starter solenoid. It will NOT be on the large battery cable, but rather the mid size wire attached to that same terminal. :smile:KennyV

Also... Welcome to the Forum... keep us up on what you find with this... and installing the battery backwards has happened to others, so That can happen... You said there was no smoke so that's a big plus..

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello, I have moved your post to the Craftsman Forum. You will have better luck finding assistance there. :wink:

Thanks for joining LawnMowerForum!!!

fastback

Threads
While your testing make sure you have juice in the battery. Infact, that is probably the best place to start. If you have it there you can then move down the line like Kenny suggested.