Battery powered riding lawn mowers. Good for cold weather states ?

rkode

Threads
  • / Battery powered riding lawn mowers. Good for cold weather states ?
Last year, I purchased a RYOBI 40 V push mower from Home Depot.

This is the second summer I have owned it and it perform wonderfully.

I live in Wisconsin and when I put my battery operated tools away for the winter, I remove the batteries and store them in my heated basement.

Based on my experience with my battery operated push mower, I was thinking about purchasing a battery powered riding mower.

30" is the ideal size for me. (My mowing area is small with lots of trees and bushes.)

But, when I read about the various makes of these mowers, everything states the batteries cannot be removed (and replaced) by the owner. (Can only be done by a repair facility.)

The batteries must not winter in an environment where the temp gets and stays at 0 degrees or below.

I would hate to spend a couple + grand for a battery rider only to be told (if it won't start for some reason) that the problem is mine because I didn't store the rider properly.

I live in Wisconsin and we often get winter temps below 0.

And these temps stick around for weeks and weeks.

Gas driven mowers and other tools are easy to winterize and store in a garage or shed without issue.
Not so it seems with battery driven tools.

Iwas hoping to find a battery operated rider with removable batteries so I could remove and store them for the winter in my heated basement. But so far, I can't seem to find any.

Here's some questions.
Does anyone on this forum (who lives in a cooler climate), actually own a battery operated rider ?
If so ...
Where do you live ?
What make and model rider do you own ?
How long have you had it ?
How do you address storing it in winter ?

Do you think that I am just "jumping the gun" a little when it comes to buying a battery operated rider and that I might be better off waiting another season or two until the issue of "cold storage" is addressed by the manufacturer ?

Thanks for reading my "windy"post