Repairs Battery not being recharged..

Charles_cz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi guys what should I check first?

Today I have noticed that my battery light on Cub Cudet 1050 LTX vent on when PTO engaged. When I shut off blades light would disappear. I assume it just indicated low voltage when PTO engaged and when I turn blades off it voltage came back to certain limit to turn the light off.
After some more cutting the battery light would stay on all the time as battery was used and not charges I assume. When I turned off the engine I could not start it anymore as battery was drained completely.

I just removed the battery and it's recharging.

1. Is alternator my problem? Does it have separate alternator? I can't find it. :frown: What else should I check?
2. Am I going to damage anything if I try to finish my work toady after I recharge the battery? I don't need light or display working etc. I understand it's not probably good for the battery.

Oh.. and it has Kawasaki FR651V engine.

Thanks for advice. Charles

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to LMF...

You are right about it not being good for the battery... but that is not going to be a big problem...
A bigger risk is running the PTO clutch with low voltage, It can start to slip as you get below 10 volts or so...
That will eventually burn up the clutch.
So don't run it till the battery is completely dead.

Check fuses, wiring and connectors... You could have a voltage regulator gone bad....
With a little caution you should be able to continue mowing until you get around to fixing the charging problem. :smile:KennyV

Charles_cz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks KennyV, I would have no idea. I'll check wiring and connectors. Is there easy way to check voltage regulator? I am not engine guy but I have plenty of tools being contractor.

Thanks...

WELCOME to LMF...

You are right about it not being good for the battery... but that is not going to be a big problem...
A bigger risk is running the PTO clutch with low voltage, It can start to slip as you get below 10 volts or so...
That will eventually burn up the clutch.
So don't run it till the battery is completely dead.

Check fuses, wiring and connectors... You could have a voltage regulator gone bad....
With a little caution you should be able to continue mowing until you get around to fixing the charging problem. :smile:KennyV

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Your alternator is tested in AC voltage. 28 volts This goes to your voltage regulator. Your voltage regulator should put out 14 DC voltage to the battery. You will need a multi volt meter to test this.

Charles_cz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks reynoldston, I have at least two of those.. :) Now I just have to figure out where the voltage regulator is.. I have PDF file with all parts for Kawasaki FR651V. It shows pictures too which should help. What puzzles me is that there is no alternator mentioned anywhere. :confused2:

Is charging coil there instead of alternator?

Your alternator is tested in AC voltage. 28 volts This goes to your voltage regulator. Your voltage regulator should put out 14 DC voltage to the battery. You will need a multi volt meter to test this.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
The alternator is under the flywheel with the magneto, it will not look like the alternator on a car.
... check at the regulator first... see what voltage you have there. :smile:KennyV