Bad coil... already?!

Craftsman Garage

Threads
I purchased a Craftsman II gt18 garden tractor with a 18hp OPPOSED twin briggs for $50, and when we picked it up didn't run. seller had replaced the "distributor" (coil) but we discovered that he had grounded the kill wire...LOL. we hooked up the kill wires PROPERLY and the thing started up beautifully(with a slight surge) and it worked for like a week or two of daily use. Everything is PRISTINE on this tractor, the blades engage instantly and only have a slight hum to the spindles. steering gear is worn out to where it skips over if you turn it to the left... ANYWAY was driving it and it suddenly shut down like something was really wrong. I tried starting fluid, cleaning carb, changing plugs... nothing. I spark tested the coil and NO SPARK (I tried several different ground just to be sure). I will begrudgingly buy a new one, but I don't want it to fall on its face after a week. I assume the sudden death is because of the humidity here in Oregon? if I buy a new one, I want to to be able to do the job a few years and TO NOT BREAK THE BANK. If all coils just die in humidity, ill just sell the darn thing. ANY SUGGESTIONS would help tons, thanks. (this would be third coil I have had to change this week 😭)

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If you have replace the coil 3X in one week I would be suspecting a stray voltage is being applied during the coil shutdown. IE bad ignition switch sending voltage on the kill wire as you rotate it to the stop/off position.

Craftsman Garage

Threads
If you have replace the coil 3X in one week I would be suspecting a stray voltage is being applied during the coil shutdown. IE bad ignition switch sending voltage on the kill wire as you rotate it to the stop/off position.
noooo, I meant in general, not ON THIS MOWER. I replaced 2 coils on a craftsman dgs6500 courage twin (converted DSAI to MDI) lol. I have not replaced the coil on this mower since I bought it. the previous owner did ONCE

Craftsman Garage

Threads
im just confused why the coils are going out on my machinery at the same time, or maybe its just bad luck

Craftsman Garage

Threads

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Heck in my shop one year right after a local lightning strike I had to replace 5 coils on engines that were running the previous day. Now I had a hint as I was also shocked the same day.

As for Raisman I don't personally know as I haven't used them in my shop repairs. Others may may chime with their experiences on Raisman coils and that would be helpful on deciding.

Chipg1956

Threads
I don't recall ever using a Raisman coil but their other parts are as good as any.

navydad2022

Threads
I purchased a Craftsman II gt18 garden tractor with a 18hp OPPOSED twin briggs for $50, and when we picked it up didn't run. seller had replaced the "distributor" (coil) but we discovered that he had grounded the kill wire...LOL. we hooked up the kill wires PROPERLY and the thing started up beautifully(with a slight surge) and it worked for like a week or two of daily use. Everything is PRISTINE on this tractor, the blades engage instantly and only have a slight hum to the spindles. steering gear is worn out to where it skips over if you turn it to the left... ANYWAY was driving it and it suddenly shut down like something was really wrong. I tried starting fluid, cleaning carb, changing plugs... nothing. I spark tested the coil and NO SPARK (I tried several different ground just to be sure). I will begrudgingly buy a new one, but I don't want it to fall on its face after a week. I assume the sudden death is because of the humidity here in Oregon? if I buy a new one, I want to to be able to do the job a few years and TO NOT BREAK THE BANK. If all coils just die in humidity, ill just sell the darn thing. ANY SUGGESTIONS would help tons, thanks. (this would be third coil I have had to change this week 😭)
Would a new coil act up as far as intermittent to where it sounds like uneven engine firing.