Bad Breather

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I rebuilt the carb and there was no jet. I properly installed a new one with new o-ring. It runs great for about 15 mins. I'm gonna pull the carb off and check it again.

Is the fuel solenoid ok?

Freddie21

Threads
Yes, but I don't know how that would cause it to run rich.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
With it being a Nikki the bowl gasket might have a bad place in it. They have to be nearly prefect, Otherwords, no nicks.. Also verify you installed the correct jet size.

Freddie21

Threads
Will have to check the jet. I don't know which one I put in. But, again, if the jet is wrong, I would think it would run crappy all the time not just when it gets hot. I wondering how the carb would fail with temperature. Unless, the mixture is good only when cool.

Freddie21

Threads
I disassembled the carb and everything is correct, but it surging even at low speeds now. I rebuilt another Nikki using used parts and it runs well. Let it run at high speed for 15 mins and still good. I agree, I hate these carbs. I tried to convert a Walbro, but the throttle brackets are different. I couldn't swap as throats are different sizes. I've seen this done on UselessTube.

Freddie21

Threads
I was wondering if the breather needed vacuum to operate and if the engine would not run correctly if the tube was not connected, but I have been running this engine with a rebuilt carb and no breather tube connected and it runs fine. The tube is cracked at the air cleaner elbow. Should I fix?

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
I was wondering if the breather needed vacuum to operate and if the engine would not run correctly if the tube was not connected, but I have been running this engine with a rebuilt carb and no breather tube connected and it runs fine. The tube is cracked at the air cleaner elbow. Should I fix?
Buy a cheap Chinese carburetor and throw it on there. Use a spark checker to check coil(s). After 15 minutes when it starts running crappy, besides the smoke, does it hunt and surge? Spit and backfire, etc?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The main jet sits in the bottom of the white tube and is held there by the o-ring
Without it the engine will run fine until the governor allows the throttle butterfly to open fully when it will run very rich
There are 2 different types of gaskets for them
The Chinese repair kits do not fit , they are made for the Chinese clones that are smaller overall
I fail to understand why people have so much difficulty with them
The only problem for me is those bowl bolts that I am now replaceing with Allan headed cap screws so I can remove the bowl without having to remove the carb