Bad Breather

Freddie21

Threads
Hi All, what would be the symptom of a bad breather valve on a Briggs Single Cyl 14-20hp size? I have a a 17hp 31C707 0230 that runs great until a drag is put onit either PTO or trans. Then it bogs down and pushes black smoke as if it running very rich. I can get it to recover by lowering the rpm, but it returns. There is a lot of carbon around the breather and between the valve cover and the spark plug and the whole underside of the engine cover. The spark plug boot was melted where it connects to the plug and the plug was fowled. I repaired the boot and changed the plug. Same symptoms.

I don't know if this is breather, carb, valve or head gasket related. Some advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bertrrr

Threads
Pull your breather and see if the problem persists

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Black smoke would indicate running rich. So could be a carb issue, but also make sure that there isn't gas in the oil which the cooking off of the fumes will cause similar symptoms. Bad head gasket or bad breather would create blue oil smoke.

If there is a lot of black suet around the spark plug/exhaust manifold to head connection could indicate a bad exhaust gasket, but could also be a symptom of a clogged exhaust and the resulting back pressure could lead to run issues.

Freddie21

Threads
Pulled the fuel tank and replaced everything to the carb. Pulled and cleaned carb. Coil has dragged the flywheel. Replaced the coil and set gap at 0.010". Set intake valve at 0.004" and Exhaust at 0.005" 1\4" past TDC. It was oil by the spark plug from the valve cover. Oil is good and no manifold leaks. Runs good only at low rpm. Smoke is not black as I thought, more lite blue-white. Doing compression and flywheel key checks tomorrow. If they are good, will change the carb. This has the white disc with the goofy O ring in it. The O ring around the fuel tube on the top of the disc is distorted. Tried one that is close in size, but wondering if fuel is not leaking by it. Mixture screw has no affect at any speed.

Bertrrr

Threads
Well if it's running at all the flywheel key is not a problem, sounds like you're moving in the right direction , only runs at low rpm if the linkage is moving the throttle plate then you probably have a carb problem.

Freddie21

Threads
The replacement used carb ran good under load. I pulled the original Nikki carb apart and it shows signs of needing new rubber gaskets. What I was surprised to see is no jet in the center plastic tube. I'm used to seeing jets with bad O Rings. Is there suppose to be one? What would be the symptom of a bad jet O Ring?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Visually check that the choke butterfly opens fully
It is spring loaded open but the tiny spring is prone to breaking

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The replacement used carb ran good under load. I pulled the original Nikki carb apart and it shows signs of needing new rubber gaskets. What I was surprised to see is no jet in the center plastic tube. I'm used to seeing jets with bad O Rings. Is there suppose to be one? What would be the symptom of a bad jet O Ring?
Then you have lost the jet or who ever work on the carb last did. The jet is either 1.10mm or 1.11mm jet depending on the date code.

Freddie21

Threads
I rebuilt the carb and there was no jet. I properly installed a new one with new o-ring. It runs great for about 15 mins. I'm gonna pull the carb off and check it again.