Bad Boy ZT Elite vs. Gravely ZT HD

NickTF

Threads
Guys, I presently have a Cub LT1050 Lawn Tractor with a few modifications I've made from 2007 with a 26 hp Kohler Courage Motor that has served me very well for 160 hours or so. Still runs like a top, I just want to upgrade and cut down my mowing time drastically. I am now looking to move up into a mid range machine. I cut my yard which is about 3/4 acre as well as a few yards here and there on the side. I've narrowed it down to two machines after hours and hours of researching on-line and a visit to see the Bad Boy in person after store hours (was sitting outside chained down allowing me to sit on it etc.)

Gravely ZT HD

Advantages:
Gravely name, tons of great reviews, 5.5" mower deck depth I believe which I think aids in handling very tall/thick grass, 8mph top speed, better warranty I believe, better deck height adjustment method (foot and pin)
Cons:
Dealer not as close (have not looked honestly but at least 30 miles I would assume), not quite as heavy duty as the bad boy from what I can ascertain on paper

Bad Boy ZT Elite
Advantages:
Ridiculous 7 gauge deck, commercial spindles, 2x2 box tube frame, dealer is 5 minutes from my house, appears to have every commercial feature except for motors which include the residential Kawy or Kohler motor which is the same story with the ZT HD and appears to be the case for all mowers until you get in the $6000 range.
Cons:
Warranty not as good, 7mph, electric deck height adjust which is hard to duplicate height setting from what I gather

At this point the bad boy machine appears to be the better offering and about $500 cheaper give or take. The only draw back is the limited reviews for the 2014 machine which I understand has been upgraded substantially from prior year models and 7mph vs 8mph of the gravely. Both machines offer the 3100 transmissions. I am pretty handy and intend to do most of my service myself. All of this said what do folks think given the choices I've laid out?

I don't want to spend any more than $5500 tops and as I indicated before I don't believe you can find a machine with a commercial motor for this cost unless going used. I'm open to suggestions outside of the two machines listed; however, I'd like the discussion to revolve around the two machines listed.

Thanks a bunch for any help offered!

Nick

NickTF

Threads
Looks like I do in fact have a Gravely dealer in the same vicinity as the Bad Boy dealer so scratch that advantage for Bad Boy.

NickTF

Threads
Toro Titan zx4800 should be added to the list it looks like. Fastest of the bunch at 8.5mph, bigger frame, and perhaps the best warranty with the frame having a lifetime warranty.

BigUgly

Forum Newbie
Threads
I purchased a Gravely ZT HD-44 two months ago. The Kawasaki engine is flawless and has handled everything I have thrown at it. The hydros on the HD are series 3100, which are considered commercial quality. In my opinion, top speed is not a consideration for purchase, as you can only mow as fast as the ground conditions will allow. I looked at the Gravely, Toro, and Hustler models; but decided on the Gravely and have no buyers remorse on my decision.

NickTF

Threads
I purchased a Gravely ZT HD-44 two months ago. The Kawasaki engine is flawless and has handled everything I have thrown at it. The hydros on the HD are series 3100, which are considered commercial quality. In my opinion, top speed is not a consideration for purchase, as you can only mow as fast as the ground conditions will allow. I looked at the Gravely, Toro, and Hustler models; but decided on the Gravely and have no buyers remorse on my decision.

Thanks for your reply. Something the 44 would have going for it is that I could actually load that machine right in the back of my truck. Or it would allow me to keep trailer costs a bit lower given 4x7 trailers are a bit cheaper. Again, a consideration.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Guys, I presently have a Cub LT1050 Lawn Tractor with a few modifications I've made from 2007 with a 26 hp Kohler Courage Motor that has served me very well for 160 hours or so. Still runs like a top, I just want to upgrade and cut down my mowing time drastically. I am now looking to move up into a mid range machine. I cut my yard which is about 3/4 acre as well as a few yards here and there on the side. I've narrowed it down to two machines after hours and hours of researching on-line and a visit to see the Bad Boy in person after store hours (was sitting outside chained down allowing me to sit on it etc.)

Gravely ZT HD

Advantages:
Gravely name, tons of great reviews, 5.5" mower deck depth I believe which I think aids in handling very tall/thick grass, 8mph top speed, better warranty I believe, better deck height adjustment method (foot and pin)
Cons:
Dealer not as close (have not looked honestly but at least 30 miles I would assume), not quite as heavy duty as the bad boy from what I can ascertain on paper

Bad Boy ZT Elite
Advantages:
Ridiculous 7 gauge deck, commercial spindles, 2x2 box tube frame, dealer is 5 minutes from my house, appears to have every commercial feature except for motors which include the residential Kawy or Kohler motor which is the same story with the ZT HD and appears to be the case for all mowers until you get in the $6000 range.
Cons:
Warranty not as good, 7mph, electric deck height adjust which is hard to duplicate height setting from what I gather

At this point the bad boy machine appears to be the better offering and about $500 cheaper give or take. The only draw back is the limited reviews for the 2014 machine which I understand has been upgraded substantially from prior year models and 7mph vs 8mph of the gravely. Both machines offer the 3100 transmissions. I am pretty handy and intend to do most of my service myself. All of this said what do folks think given the choices I've laid out?

I don't want to spend any more than $5500 tops and as I indicated before I don't believe you can find a machine with a commercial motor for this cost unless going used. I'm open to suggestions outside of the two machines listed; however, I'd like the discussion to revolve around the two machines listed.

Thanks a bunch for any help offered!

Nick
Not just because I own one, but the Gravely is the better choice hands down. Cast iron spindles w/3yr warranty, tapered roller bearings and 3/8" front caster forks to name a few). I almost pulled the trigger on a Bad Boy Outlaw, but even with the 5gauge deck it wasn't the same quality machine as my Gravely. When I was shopping in 2012 the Bad Boy ZTR's had very "mixed" user reviews(they either loved them or hated them). You won't regret investing in a Gravely.......I don't!!!

NickTF

Threads
Not just because I own one, but the Gravely is the better choice hands down. Cast iron spindles w/3yr warranty, tapered roller bearings and 3/8" front caster forks to name a few). I almost pulled the trigger on a Bad Boy Outlaw, but even with the 5gauge deck it wasn't the same quality machine as my Gravely. When I was shopping in 2012 the Bad Boy ZTR's had very "mixed" user reviews(they either loved them or hated them). You won't regret investing in a Gravely.......I don't!!!

Thanks for the input! For the sake of comparison the Bad Boy machine has larger/thicker 1/2" forks but I'm not certain regarding their bearing structure. Details are limited but the spindles are their commercial units from what I understand. It seems of the three mowers this thread is revolving around the spindles potentially most suspect are on the toro machine but I'm all ears if I'm off on that. With all the changes throughout the years on the different lines of machines it is easy to confuse parts/specifications with older year machines. From what I gather the Toro changed their offering up in 2013 and the Bad Boy in 2014. Not sure about the Gravely.

Interesting, the Toro markets the "FR" Kawasaki motor as commercial grade. Regardless, I believe they offer a 3 year warranty on the motor which is worth something. Not sure if the Gravely/Bad Boy offers such a warranty on the motor or if that warranty originates from Kawasaki?

I will not be making a purchase until I sell a flat bed car trailer I no longer need which I'm in the process of doing so this thread is intended for continuing input from the members here which I'm sure have all done the exhaustive research I have. Thanks guys!

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the input! For the sake of comparison the Bad Boy machine has larger/thicker 1/2" forks but I'm not certain regarding their bearing structure. Details are limited but the spindles are their commercial units from what I understand. It seems of the three mowers this thread is revolving around the spindles potentially most suspect are on the toro machine but I'm all ears if I'm off on that. With all the changes throughout the years on the different lines of machines it is easy to confuse parts/specifications with older year machines. From what I gather the Toro changed their offering up in 2013 and the Bad Boy in 2014. Not sure about the Gravely.

Interesting, the Toro markets the "FR" Kawasaki motor as commercial grade. Regardless, I believe they offer a 3 year warranty on the motor which is worth something. Not sure if the Gravely/Bad Boy offers such a warranty on the motor or if that warranty originates from Kawasaki?

I will not be making a purchase until I sell a flat bed car trailer I no longer need which I'm in the process of doing so this thread is intended for continuing input from the members here which I'm sure have all done the exhaustive research I have. Thanks guys!

FYI, Kawasaki defines their engine series as FR=Residential, FS=Heavy Duty and FX=Commercial. I believe these categories are based upon that engine serie's estimated lifespan in hours. In reality, many consider the FS Heavy Duty series as "commercial quality" but I've never heard of the FR series being referenced as that. Yes, all engine warranties for ZTR are from the engine manufacturer but of course would be serviced at the dealer where the ZTR was purchased. Look carefully at warranty information as most brands vary between the different series they offer in their lineup, some have specific warranties for single components(decks, spindles, etc.) and almost all of them have a years and/or hours whichever comes first. The "better quality" Residential ZTR's will specifically carry a "Consumer" AND "Commercial" warranty which reflects the heavy duty build(although MOST of it's components will be residential quality).

For instance, in the Gravely line, the ZT HD is considered their high-end Residential series with a 3 Year Consumer Warranty(not certain of the Hours limitation) but it also has a 1 Year Commercial Warranty. The frame and deck shell specifically have a 5 Year Warranty and the spindles a 3 Year. Now, when you step up into their Commercial lineup, like my Pro-Turn 100XDZ, you will find they offer a 3 Year Consumer/2 Year Commercial/1,000 Hour "bumper to bumper" Warranty, but the Deck & Frame(it has their X-Factor commercial deck) has a Lifetime Warranty and the spindles the same 3 Year. The Pro-Turn 400 XDZ(their top-of-the-line Commercial) ups the Commercial Warranty to 3 Years. These warranty differences are common across all brands and IMHO Toro and Hustler have some of the best warranties available.

But if you look at Toro, the Titan series(similar to the Gravely ZT HD) has a 3 Year/240 Hour Warranty(Lifetime Frame) in the ZX entry line and the Titan MX ups that to 3 Year/400 Hours(also Lifetime Frame). Now when you step up into Toro's Commercial Z-Master series you start getting some serious warranties(2000 models have 4 Year/500 Hours; 3000/5000/6000 models have 5 Year/1,200 Hours....all have the Lifetime Frame). Length of warranties are indeed important, but a dealer you feel comfortable is really more important(most likely any major problems will surface in the first couple of years anyway). You are doing the right thing by researching thoroughly and not just jumping into a purchase you may regret. There's a LOT to ZTR "technology" to sort out along with pricing and warranties and I spent about 6 months on these forums researching and asking questions, just like you, to help me make an educated choice. I'm sure you will get the ZTR that's best suited for your needs and budget!!

D

DSepe

FYI, Kawasaki defines their engine series as FR=Residential, FS=Heavy Duty and FX=Commercial. I believe these categories are based upon that engine serie's estimated lifespan in hours. In reality, many consider the FS Heavy Duty series as "commercial quality" but I've never heard of the FR series being referenced as that. Yes, all engine warranties for ZTR are from the engine manufacturer but of course would be serviced at the dealer where the ZTR was purchased. Look carefully at warranty information as most brands vary between the different series they offer in their lineup, some have specific warranties for single components(decks, spindles, etc.) and almost all of them have a years and/or hours whichever comes first. The "better quality" Residential ZTR's will specifically carry a "Consumer" AND "Commercial" warranty which reflects the heavy duty build(although MOST of it's components will be residential quality). For instance, in the Gravely line, the ZT HD is considered their high-end Residential series with a 3 Year Consumer Warranty(not certain of the Hours limitation) but it also has a 1 Year Commercial Warranty.

Great info on the Kawasaki engines...almost pulled the trigger on a Gravely ZT HD myself. The problem was the dealer was 3 weeks out of getting shipments on most of his gravely lineup.

NickTF

Threads
Yes, very good info presented above. I too understood the fr motors to be residential but Toro is pushing them as commercial going so far as to say they are backed by a 3-year commercial warranty!